which species is better

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
You are right about the blight. Oyster mushrooms have grown on my holz hauzens in wet summers. Unfortunately, all I seem to cut these days is beech--since they are coming down like crazy on my land. A healthy beech tree has comparable BTUs to oak and seasons quicker. If I ever get caught up on the dead-fall, I will start dropping any beech over 10 inches--to get it before the rot does. The heart wood seems to stay intact, but it pains me to sacrifice half of the volume of a spit just to get at the good stuff.
I don’t have a split of healthy beech at hand but here is what badly blighted beech looks like. Rot inside had started inside a larger hole. I hadn’t known the cause of this damage.

View attachment 310128
Unfortunate about the blight. But pic posted by Max looks like mostly solid meat. 👍
I like Red Oak for the reasons mentioned above--good heat/coaling, easy splitting, low amount of ash. The vast majority of what I get here is Red Oak, which die way more often than other species. I'm glad to have it, but the rotted sapwood on these deadfalls is a pain. If it's rotted to the point I can just scrape it off with a hatchet blade, that's nice.

I leave the soft (punky) sapwood on oak from dead standing trees - no kindling needed, just point the propane torch on the splits and off you go.

I have never noticed a beech with blight if that what it looks like. But maybe I didn't even realize it was a beech. That's unfortunate.