Which splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My Iron and Oak BHVH2609 is about 4 years old and split about 25 cords of mixed hardwoods. Last year a friend cut a couple of large hard maple and oak. We used my machine to splitl the wood. It never failed to split even the largest and gnarliest crotch pieces. My buddy would look at me and smile each time he set one of these on the beam, his message being "Let's see it split this sucker." ==c Some of these pieces slowed it a bit but it always powered its way through. Its engine is the Honda GX series with electric start. I service the engine each year and check the transmission and engine oil levels prior to each splitting session. Premium Sunoco fuel is used in all of my Honda engines.

I've installed the log cradles and log dislodger which have proven their worth. No part of the machine has ever caused even a moment of trouble.

I am 74 years old and had to stop hand spliting a number of years ago because of right rotator cuff surgery.

If anyone were to steal my Iron and Oak i would purchase an identical machine in a heartbeat.:)

Last question, what would you offer someone for a 22 Iron and Oak Vert/Horizontal with the Robins engine? New they are just a tic under $2,000. Have not seen, just some pictures and it looks like it has been stored outside, but tempted to go up and see it. I am guessing he wants around $1,000. Thoughts if it runs and splits well.
I bet he wants at least $1400 maybe 1500.

Last question, what would you offer someone for a 22 Iron and Oak Vert/Horizontal with the Robins engine? New they are just a tic under $2,000. Have not seen, just some pictures and it looks like it has been stored outside, but tempted to go up and see it. I am guessing he wants around $1,000. Thoughts if it runs and splits well.

Also a great machine, can you post one of those pics here? If he want's $1000 for it and it runs/splits good, plus doesn't look too weathered, I'd pick it up.

If you can find them in your area, maybe check into a Swisher. I.bought mine new about 10 years ago.
28 ton with 11 HP Briggs engine. Split about 5 cords a year. No problems or issues at all. Prime it twice, starts 2nd pull when cold.
If something happened to it, I would buy another.
Swisher products may be kind of hard to find. Two box stores in my area do not handle them anymore. I heard that they could not purchase them cheap enough from manufacturer to make their required profit.
I have a Swisher snow blower too, with Briggs engine, 5 years old, problem free.

Last question for you guys. A lot of the wood I split gets dropped off by a local tree guy. He takes it off residential properties, brings it to me in 10' sections. So I just have to buck it and split it. The types of hardwoods varies, but most often it is pretty green (juicy in the middle). Will the 22 Ton Huskee split the really green 30" stuff? I like to get it split and stacked as quickly as possible to help it dry and keep the backyard organized.

I get tree service wood dropped off too. Its usually pretty gnarly and full of knots. I keep the 4-way wedge on mine and have yet to find anything it wont go through.

Sam's Club/Wallmart carries them up here. I just picked up a 3 year old 28 ton for $850.

If you can find them in your area, maybe check into a Swisher. I.bought mine new about 10 years ago.
28 ton with 11 HP Briggs engine. Split about 5 cords a year. No problems or issues at all. Prime it twice, starts 2nd pull when cold.
If something happened to it, I would buy another.
Swisher products may be kind of hard to find. Two box stores in my area do not handle them anymore. I heard that they could not purchase them cheap enough from manufacturer to make their required profit.
I have a Swisher snow blower too, with Briggs engine, 5 years old, problem free.

Will the 22 Ton Huskee split the really green 30" stuff?​

I don't see that being a problem. My 26-ton was cracking 36" knotty pin oak rounds like they were eggs. I've not had any trouble splitting anything with a machine over 16 tons.

Well after hemming and hawing between new or used 22 or 26 ton I found exactly what I wanted and for the money I wanted to spend. Found a 26 ton I&O with a Honda GX270 engine that was 5 years old for $1,200. The guy was getting a divorce, liquidating most of his toys and moving south.
Before buying I ran several knotty rounds through it and could not stop smiling. It was much quieter than the Iron and Oak I have been renting and much faster. Cycle time was still 12 seconds and the auto return was working as it should, unlike the rental unit which drove me nuts.
It actually fit in the back of the pickup for the long ride home.

Split my last cord of wood and really can’t be happier. Thank you for all the input and help.

He never changed the hydraulic fluid and filter in the five years he owned it and split around 3 or 4 cords a year. He did say he changed the oil but figured I would change it, spark plug and air filter but was not sure if the hydraulic fluid and filter should be changed as well. Thoughts?

Reactions: Nixon
Forgot to post the picture, splitter and tired dog

Attachments

• IMG_0850.JPG
    IMG_0850.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0846.JPG
    IMG_0846.JPG
    255.9 KB · Views: 156
Reactions: TreePointer
Unless the hydro oil appears milky or dark, it is not a big deal. The hydro filter is more important.

Geezz
Who ever is so worried about A B&S engine go buy one of these

ELECTRIC SUPERSPLIT LOGSPLITTER

A nice splitter, but my quarter mile extension cord keeps getting tangled.
I just think It's kinda cool and quiet , when I upgrade It will be a Husky 22 B&S, (was on sale for 900 somthing last week) cuz don't like splittin the big rounds by hand or pickin em up :)

Forgot to post the picture, splitter and tired dog
Nice find. Love used equipment you can sell for the same price you bought it for!

Geezz
Who ever is so worried about A B&S engine go buy one of these

ELECTRIC SUPERSPLIT LOGSPLITTER

Damn, you can't say that electric one does a bad job, quiet too...

Status
Not open for further replies.