Which stove for my home / area...osburn 2400, osburn 2200, other?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roscolo

Aug 29, 2006
I'm a newb here. Looking for some help determining which wood stove to go with. Info. and reviews of Osburn have impressed me. Here's the specs on my house:

I am near Athens, Georgia. The coldest it gets here is usually 24 - 32 F.
My house was built in 1999. Square feet is 2,800.
Floor is exposed concrete (acid-stained, try it, you'll save a ton of construction cost and have a great looking floor) throughout the house.
Floor plan is very open. My house is a big box with simple gable roof (metal)..folks think I converted an old barn to a house. One room takes up half the floor plan at 1,450 sq. feet. Cathedral ceiling in this room slopes from 10 ft. to 14 ft. Has ceiling fans.
All but one of the rest of the rooms (there are only 5 more room) all feed off the great room. There are no hallways. These rooms have 10 ft. ceilings. I over-insulated beyond code requirements with cellulose insulation.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Osburn 2400, although I'm thinking the smaller 2200 may do just as well. I want this stove to be my only heat source. I grew up near here and we heated a similar size house with a Fisher stove in the basement. I will have to order via online retailer, fireplacesnow dot com, as there is no dealer anywhere near here, so any suggestions regarding any of the above are welcome and desired! Any other stove suggestions welcomed as well.

Thanks

Wood stove dealer in Athens
Birchmore Pool & Spa
154 Oneta Street
Athens 30601
706-548-1378

Looks like there could be some Quadra-Fire dealers about an hour from you...
Lopi dealers 15 min to 30 minutes from you...

The Quad 5700 is a heating monster if you like box volume. More heat than you need, though.

Quadrafire also makes a millenium series that is pretty affordable. They go as big as the 4300. Still plenty of stove. I hear good things about Osborn, go check that local dealerthat elk posted.

Thanks. I started looking at Quadrafire today, but some bad reviews and inability to find prices have turned me off a bit. I think Lopi is going to be a more than I want to spend. The good reviews and good price on the Osburn stoves have made them my focus, but I'm not committed yet. Napoleon stoves look like they may be an option as well.

I will contact the dealer Lord of Fire posted. I didn't know they sold stoves. I contacted Osburn directly and they could not hook me up with a dealer anywhere within 500 miles.

Has anyone dealt with fireplacesnow.com, aka wholesalenow.com? They have good prices on Osburn stoves, but I don't know anything about this company.

Given where you live and the age of your home I think the 2200 would do the trick. Also, the view of the fire in the Osburn 2200 is quite nice. I heat 2200 sqft with the 1800i, and it does very well. I do wish I could have fit the 2200, but no go. I live in NY, so a lot colder. If I only needed to heat down to temps of around 25, my 1800i could easily heat more house.

On the otherhand, the 2400 is an immense stove that should easily heat your home and burn for longer than the 2200. Think about what you want...longer burn times or more fire view. Either should do 8 hours burn time...I'd guess the 2400 might go longer and require less glass cleaning. The 1800 needs cleaning every couple days to keep a crystal clear glass. Wet wood really clogs the glass in a hurry, but a hot fire will clear it some. Only the edges stay foggy.

Good luck with your decision, and feel free to ask more questions.

And as far as prices go, you're going to find it hard to find pricing online. Either call the local store or go there and talk with them.

I recommend the latter, as you will be able to view the different heating options out there. Also, it's easier to tell if they're blowing air up your skirt trying to get you into something you don't want.

As Warren said, think about the features, performance, and budget you would like. Then find the stove that best matches your requirement. You can always come here and ask questions. We have enough SME's that most of your questions will be answered.

And just think, everyone was once a newb here :) Welcome!!

Status
Not open for further replies.