which stove is a better buy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdscj8

Feb 19, 2009
Eastern,Nebraska
My brother is replacing his old buck stove so i told him i would check on here, he is looking at 4 used stoves, we know the owners of 2 of them. His house is a story and a half 30' X 30' square not a open floor plan not well insulated. 4 rooms down stairs and 4 rooms upstairs all rooms are 14'X14' upstairs is a little smaller, narrow stair way going upstairs. Also uses stove for only heat, what stove would be best for his application, money wise and heat wise.

1. heathstone harvest, brown porcelain enamal 4years old only used first year installed, they said it was to much work and quit using it. $500.00

2. Quadra-Fire Isle Royale, 5 years old people bought house 3 years ago and don't want it, said it takes up to much room, comes with 20' class A pipe and all other pieces for pipe install, Porcelain Mahogany Finish Circulation Blower $1800.00

3. Vermont Castings Dutchwest model 2460, 4 years old we know the owner not used much looks new $1000.00

4. hearthstone heritage, installed burned twice last winter, its my uncles stove and they are moving to florida, so he can buy it if he wants or there going to leave it $1800.00

Are you saying the heritage was new last year and only burned twice? If so, that would be my pick.

The one his wife likes best.

I think #3 would be my last pick due to the warranty and spare part issues they have been having.

Agree the #4 sounds really nice. #1 and #2 don't sound all that bad either.

Matt

For big heat the Quadrafire Isle Royale would be my choice, sounds like it could have very low mileage, but that would need a visual confirmation. For medium heat, the Heritage sounds pretty good.

But considering that he can also get some nice new stoves for about $1500 or less and get the tax credit, he should consider that option as well.

I looked at hearthstone for a bit last year and it is a good looking stove. That price for an almost new stove sounds like a good deal. If it is only one year old, it should qualify for the 30% tax rebate. Offer them $1500 cash, I'm sure they will take it. That way your friend is out $1050 after tax time.

Did anyone ever take over Vermont Castings after they went under? If not I'd stay away from that product because you will have a hard time finding replacement parts.

Heritage sounds good.

Don't see why you couldn't take the tax credit on the Quad, as well, and I would think they could come down on that price. What's the price of the Quad w/o the pipe, or is a take-all deal? Does your brother need the venting material, or just the stove? Not sure what used class A is worth. Not much if you don't need it, I guess.

the quad is one price, take all or nothing we asked, if it was 8" pipe i was going to buy it from my brother to replace mine with. but it's 6". all he needs is the stove. we looked at it and it is real clean i would have never known it was 5 years old, it looks like it was a conversation piece not a heater. how well can you contol the heat with the quad, for his size home? yes they will take less to get it out of there, how much less i don't know.

yes the heritage is good for the tax credit my uncle never claimed it. he checked and he said a bill of sale would work.

i didn't know that about Vermont Castings.

My vote would be for either the Uncle's Heritage or the Quadra-fire.

The Heritage sounds like the best deal to me. Brand new stove barely broke in and qualifies for tax credit. Should be a good fit for his sized house.

I'm starting to think #1 is a pretty good deal, if they did in fact use it only one year. At first glance I thought, well a 4-yr old stove that is no longer made, but in essence it is only a 1-yr old stove (if the folks are being honest). It is the same basic stove as the Heritage, right?

branchburner said:
I'm starting to think #1 is a pretty good deal, if they did in fact use it only one year. At first glance I thought, well a 4-yr old stove that is no longer made, but in essence it is only a 1-yr old stove (if the folks are being honest). It is the same basic stove as the Heritage, right?

The Harvest stove is much older than 4 years, I think the Heritage replaced it over 10+ years ago.

jdscj8 said:
the quad is one price, take all or nothing we asked, if it was 8" pipe i was going to buy it from my brother to replace mine with. but it's 6". all he needs is the stove. we looked at it and it is real clean i would have never known it was 5 years old, it looks like it was a conversation piece not a heater. how well can you contol the heat with the quad, for his size home? yes they will take less to get it out of there, how much less i don't know.

yes the heritage is good for the tax credit my uncle never claimed it. he checked and he said a bill of sale would work.

i didn't know that about Vermont Castings.

The Isle Royale is a serious heater. If this is a windy, zero degree winter location then it may be a good fit. Ask Jags about range of heat and operation.

Todd said:
branchburner said:

The Harvest stove is much older than 4 years, I think the Heritage replaced it over 10+ years ago.

I was wondering about that. Means they probably didn't just burn it one year, either (unless maybe they bought it used 4 years ago).

Yeah, new Heritage is the way to go. Unless you could get that Quad for well under $1000. Or the VC for... do I hear $75, who will give me $75?

Thanks for bringin up the issue about the Harvest, we didn't know it could be that old, thats the only one we did not go look at yet. If there sayin its only 4 years old and its 10+ who knows the real story behind it. I think after reading this he has narrowed it down to the Quad or the Heritage, we half to get a boom truck to lift the heritage out of our uncles, but the Quad is already out and ready to go. i think its going to boil down to which one hes going to be able to control the heat the best. His wife likes both so shes happy.
Thanks JD

I think Heritage will be best for control, but Quad will be best for biggest heat, especially w/ blower. Personally I like big heat: I don't mind being overheated, I hate being underheated.

Hmmm....as if you couldn't have guessed this already....I would go for the quad. Heat control is pretty good considering it is a 3.0 cu ft firebox. The quad also handles smaller - hot - fires quite well, if just some warmup stuff is needed. On the other side, if you need big heat, the quad LOVES to run 650-700F. Granted it is gonna chew up some wood running that hard, but man, you will think the devil has come over for a visit. I have found this to be a very user friendly stove. Even the women of the household can control it. :lol:
(thats a joke ladies)

I have the hearthstone heritage, rated at 1800 sq ft, and like it alot ! that would be my pick.1 year old??? good price, eh thats the one!

wood wacker said:
I have the hearthstone heritage, rated at 1800 sq ft, and like it alot ! that would be my pick.1 year old??? good price, eh thats the one!

I agree that the heritage is a beautiful stove, it is also a soapstone, which helps to regulated the hills and valleys of the heat cycle. On the other hand, it is 25% smaller than the IR. So if size matters........ :cheese:

R&D;Guy said:
Did anyone ever take over Vermont Castings after they went under? If not I'd stay away from that product because you will have a hard time finding replacement parts.

yes, monehssen bought them
i heard they are dropping 1/2 the old replacement parts.
serious bad news for old vc stove owners, but maybe an chance for aftermarket vendors to make some bucks.

the the OP,
i'd try to talk they heritage owner down to 1500, offer cash, works well.

Thanks everyone, he went with our uncles hearthstone heritage, after getting the bottom $ on the Quadra-Fire Isle Royale he told our uncle he was going to pass on his heritage and go with the Quadra fire, so being a great uncle he said if he wanted his stove he would sell it for the same price, sence we don't know anything for sure about the Isle Royale, our uncle said he would like to see him have a stove he could trust and that he knows everything about. So my brother got a h*ll of a deal at $1300 for it. We got it all installed about 9:30 tonight and he had a fire in it by 10:00. His wife is the happiest woman around right now, their house has been between 55 and 60 for the past week, shes sleeping on a air matress in front of it tonight. If he gets his computer back this week he's going to put some pics up on here. That thing looks kick *ss in his room, I'm very impressed how good it looks. Sence this is only the 3rd fire in the stove is there anything he needs to do or watch. Thanks again, JD

I love a happy ending.
There are plenty of Hearthstone threads to search for burning tips. The biggest tip is burn DRY wood!

The thing to do is to fire it up slowly, since you just installed :) driving too hard from "stone cold" is a recipe for cracking. Take it easy these first few days. The let 'er rip.

Feed it good, dry, seasoned hardwood. Run it wide open for 10-15 minutes, back the primary down about halfway for another 10 min, then find your long-burn sweet spot somewhere about 1/4" from full-closed. Is he running a flue damper?

Great choice . . . and what a great uncle.

Status
Not open for further replies.