Which stove should I Buy!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisrusz

Sep 13, 2012
Hello Everyone! So i am the new guy on the block with wood stove inserts and having looked at so many its kind of mind boggling. I am looking for some guidence to see what stove would be the best for the price and performance/quality. It seems like they are all about the same but i wanted to to see everyones opinion. I have a 2000 sqft colonial if anyone wanted to knwo and all three of these will fit my fireplace.

The 3 models i am looking at are below

Avalon Rainer - heats upto 1800 sqft (BTUS 71,800) New - $1999 (I can get one for $1200 used)
Enviro Kodiak 1700 - heats upto 2200 sqft (BTUS 74000) New - $2100
Country Legacy C260 - heats upto 2200 sqft (BTUs 79000) New - $2000

Thanks

Chris!

Welcome.

Ignore all BTU and sq ft ratings. They are marketing propaganda. Look at firebox size. In your case, I would be looking at the biggest that will fit. If you include some fireplace dimensions, that will help with suggestions. Masonry fireplace and chimney, or steel prefab? How tight and well insulated is your house? Open floorplan, or chopped up with small rooms?

Reactions: BrowningBAR
Where are you located?

I would err toward the larger size. The Enviro Kodiak 1700 gets nice reviews and is a solid stove as it the Country C260.

Where will the stove be located in the house and how open is this area to the rest of the house for heat circulation? The other factor you want to consider it your wood supply. These stoves run best with fully seasoned wood.

The house is broken up by rooms. The room that the wood stove is in is one large room but the rest of the house is broken up. It is your typical 60's colonial. The house has a masonry fireplace that i will be putting in a flue liner in. As far has how insulated my house i am not certain conciering i just bought it but it does have replacement windows. My fireplace measures 29" high, 39 3/4" wide and 21 1/2" inches deep.

I am also located in Connecticut.

I am thinking even if i went with a larger unit it still wouldn't heat the whole house because of how broken up the floor plan is. I am sure it will heat some of the upstairs but thinking it will mainly heat the down stairs which is 1000 Sqft. Thinkign maybe the Avalon for $1200 dollars is a good deal.

please let me know your opinions!

OK, in CT I would definitely err toward a larger stove. Given the layout I would get a convective unit. You may be surprised. Some colonials are not as hard to heat because you can get a circular convection flow going with just a single fan blowing cooler air into the stove room. Can you post a rough floorplan sketch?

Status
Not open for further replies.