Which Stove to Buy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

f14tomcat5

Mar 17, 2015
West Seneca, NY
My wife and I, after researching and a few posts on this forum, have decided to replace our '92 VC wood stove. We have been looking at different stoves for the past week or so and are considering the Lopi/Avalon 1750 models, the Lopi Endeavor, a Regency F2400, and a PE To (cast iron clad steel). They all appear to be great stoves and have good reviews on the review section of this forum.

Does anyone out there have a recommendation? I know members like the Endeavor because it has a by-pass. I also noted that some of comments for the 1750 state that it does not have an ash pan, is this correct?

We own a 1950sqft house that is primarily heated with forced air. The wood stove is for the really cold weeks, which seemed to be every week this winter, and for power outages.

Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Which VC do you have? Is it heating the place pretty well?

We have a '92 Resolute Acclaim in need of a new combustion package, fire arches, and a rebuild due to a separating panel. It does put off good heat but cycles hot and cold. It also flies through wood, most likely due to the leaking side panel and old gaskets. It's a nice stove, just needs a lot of work and from what I understand requires frequent replacement of expensive parts.

What is your budget pain point for the replacement?

Lotta stoves to do that job out there.

We are comfortable with the $2k - $2,500 range plus a new hearth and inside stove pipe. Looking under $3,500 total. Our goal is to fit the existing corner location of the current stove since the chimney is already going through the ceiling and roof. The stove was installed, by the previous owners, to minimum clerances. We are 23 1/2" (L)and 22 1/2" (R) from stove pipe to wall and ~18" from stove corner to the wall.

I found a local PE dealer in the area that also sells and rebuilds VC stoves. Now the repair thought is back in my head again.

I really don't know what to do. Waiting on a cost estimate to fully rebuild the VC.

Recommendations?

Waiting on a cost estimate to fully rebuild the VC
That may be pricy. If it gets up around 1000 with parts and labor, there are some cheap steel stoves for that kind of money. Granted, not as pretty as the VC. Or you could spend around 2K and get into a quality stove that looks pretty good, like the ones you mentioned, with a lot less maintenance than the VC.

Last edited by a moderator:
The continual comments about repeated maintenance are what keep me wanting to replace it. It's not a primary heat source, but I don't want to keep soaking money into it every few years on parts and rebuilds.

The T6 is one of the least finicky and nicest heating stoves we're had in our house. It is a convective heater and has high mass which works well at leveling out temperature swings. Feed it dry wood and it does a great job. Other stoves with similar cast iron jacket designs should give like results.

Last edited:
Reactions: webby3650
Do you keep rebuilding a 1992 car. Nope. Get ya a new stove. Pretty much the worst one you could buy will be better than what ya got.

Yeah, old VC owners unload on me. I am ready for ya. >>

Reactions: Jo191145
We have narrowed it down between a Regency F2400 and the PE T5. I have read many reviews and it seems like both stoves are excellent. Any comments or guidance would be awesome. The units would be coming from different dealers, both whom seem nice to deal with, I have been to talk with both. We are leaning toward T5 right now because of the ornate cast iron wrap.

Also, any thoughts on average installation cost. The installer would have to move out the old stove, bring in the new one, and install a new hearth pad and new single wall inside the house. One dealer quoted us between $400-$900; sounds a little high.

Your help is appreciated to assist a newbie!

The T5 is a great stove. Easy to run and good burn time.

I'm wondering if in your climate zone you should go with the T6. How large an area will the stove be heating, the whole house or just a part of it? What model was the old VC stove?

The stove sits in the corner of our family room (16×18) which is open to our kitchen. The house is just under 2000sqft. We typically heat with forced air heat and use the stove when it's really cold to ease the gas bill, in a power outage, or when we want to have a pleasure fire.

We currently have a VC Resolute Acclaim.

Both Alderlea stoves will do that job as a backup. I lean toward the larger stove, but I must recuse myself because it's the stove I run and am used to in our 2000 sq ft house.

I have the PE Super insert which has the same firebox as the T5. I can only say good things about my experience with it. Easy to run and clean, great draft, puts out some serious heat. However, I share BeGreen's sentiment that you may want to look at the T6 for a whole house heater in case of a power outage. 2000 sqft is a bit much for the T5 unless your home is exceptionally well insulated.

If you like the cast iron design of the T5 I would also suggest to take a look at the Jotul F55. It gets some really rave reviews here (try a forum search). Or the F50 Rangeley if you would like to continue with a top-loader.

How long have you had it? Any issues? Any maintenance issues?
I've had it for 7 seasons. Last year I replaced the door gasket. This summer I am going to adjust the door. That's about it. This thing is a tank.

Second season with my T6 and its a great stove. I'd go with the previous advise and go for the larger stove. My dealer tried to talk me into the T5 and he was wrong, the larger stove has been great. You can always make a smaller fire! Solid stove and easy to operate.

Reactions: firefighterjake
It seems like the more research I do, the more confused and undecided I get. I like the thought of the bypass on the Lopi Endeavor but I like the cast cladding on the PE T5. I read that the PE has pumice fire brick while the Lopi stoves use a "higher quality" kiln dried clay brick. I like the knife edge closure on the PE while the Regency and the Lopi have a flat sealing front. I really have no idea which direction to go. It appears that there are a lot of PE owners commenting here with all good things to say. Anyone out there representing the Lopi or Regency stoves?

All input is appreciated!

Don't overthink it. Maybe the most important decision you can make is to get the right size stove. Other than that, most stoves on the market heat just fine with little to no problems. There are for example many loyal owners of the $800 Englander 30NC here.

Check the review section and try a forum search to get the experiences of the various owners about their stoves. And get one that you like to look at. It will be a focal point of your home for years to come. If you like a cast-iron look you won't go wrong with the PE T6 but neither with a Jotul F55, Hearthstone Manchester, or BlazeKing Ashford 30. Lopi and Regency make fine stoves, too, but they may not have the look you seem to prefer.

Reactions: firefighterjake
Lopi/Avalon has a new stove that will be released in April from what I'm told. It's basically the endeavor firebox with lots of improvements. Including an ashpan! It looked like a really nice design.

Absolutely, without doubt, get rid of that Resolute Acclaim. Don't put another cent into it unless it's to get it out of your house. Not worth the money!

I'd go with the PE T6, just based on a lot of reading from this forum. Not sure why you've narrowed it down to those particular brands, but of the choices you gave, I'd go with PE. Seem to be top of the line and have performance features that I'd want in a stove.

I too used to own a VC and the temperature fluctuations of the cast iron were just too much. Not healthy for the house and certainly not healthy for the gasket/stove. I personally have a Blaze King Ashford and the performance is absolutely amazing. Most of the time, it's like running our heat pump: it keeps our house about 70 degrees all the time. 1/4" plate steel with a cast iron jacket. It keeps the temps down but can really throw out heat with a blower. Solid.

Do you want a ton of radiant heat from cast iron, or would you prefer the stove be steel, jacketed?

Been researching for several days and have swerved from a VC Encore Flexburn to a Woodstock Ideal Steel Hybrid because the W seems to be easier and cheaper to maintain.
I have a week to decide before the discount goes away.
I think I'll get all the soapstone options.
I've spoken with WS customer service and unlike my Lopi I can order replacement parts directly from them.
The info on their website is outstanding.
Will appreciate coments from current Ideal Hybrid owners.

The t6 sounds really good and u believe it has the same firebox as my summit. I get some serious heat from it for a good while(6-10 hrs.) depending on how I'm burning it and outside temps . If you want longer burn times tho the BK's are worth a serious look.

Status
Not open for further replies.