Which stove to get and where to place it? Newbie help.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yeah, you'll want a self lighting one - and 1997 is going back far enough I wouldn't buy one as a newbie.

I don't know anything about that reconditioner but since rarely does he/she show an actual picture of the stove, I am inclined to think that they are all older and may not be in that great a condition. I could be wrong, just when there is such secrecy by someone who is obviously in the business, it makes one think.

Nothing wrong with going for a serenity if that is what you decide to do. Many people here are happy with theirs - we've just been trying to give you options.

The negative side with 2 stoves is double the filling, scraping , ash removal , and cleaning. Maybe double the dust and noise too.
For every positive there is a negative.

True but the whole objective is to heat 2 levels regardless of the negatives the best way to do it is with a stove on each level.

Reactions: pete7713
2 stoves = never a cold home.

Reactions: rich2500
We've been looking Craigslist. Of the ones we were interested in, only one person answered. So the options are limited. We'll do one stove first and later decide if we need another one for upstairs. For now the serenity is the winner.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Reactions: rich2500
I guess I have been around the block to many times. I've been threw the wood stove stage and the cheaper pellet stove stage. My suggestion would be to do it right the first time and save for a Harman. It has better controls will last and perform a lot better. You will here all kinds of stuff on here what ever they have is great, but all I can say is live and learn. Good luck what ever you decide.

Reactions: glockshooter
I guess I have been around the block to many times. I've been threw the wood stove stage and the cheaper pellet stove stage. My suggestion would be to do it right the first time and save for a Harman. It has better controls will last and perform a lot better. You will here all kinds of stuff on here what ever they have is great, but all I can say is live and learn. Good luck what ever you decide.

:rolleyes:

Quick update: we decided to go with a woodstove and bought the Englander Madison from Lowe's. Not yet installed. Thank you all for your help.

Quick update: we decided to go with a woodstove and bought the Englander Madison from Lowe's. Not yet installed. Thank you all for your help.

Keep up up to date on the install and your experiences with the stove.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk