Which stove would you buy? Englander 30 vs Napolean 1400

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

project240

Nov 30, 2010
Alberta
For the past few weeks I've been keeping an eye out for an Englander 30 (TimberRidge here in Canada) to go on sale. I'm planning on installing a wood stove to compliment our Osburn 1800 insert.

I've been planning on buying the Englander since reading so many positive reviews, but found a used Napolean 1400 with all chimney components for sale for $1000.

Cost wise, I think the Englander would cost me $1600-$1800 including all the components (obviously everything would be brand new) that come with the Napolean for $1000.

A couple concerns of mine are the firebox size and the Napolean does look to be in good condition, however I'm not sure of the age. I really want a stove that will keep the heat up throughout the night so 2.25 cuft vs 3.5 cuft is a big consideration.

Our house is 2500 sq ft and temps of as low as -30C in the winter if that makes a difference.

Opinions/advice appreciated.

I had a small Napoleon insert and it burns great. I loved the secondary burns on that stove, and the fan was great and super quiet. However it was too small for my house so I bought a larger insert 3.2 cf. That was a great move. Larger firebox makes a huge difference. I'm sure some Englander owners will chime in here as well.

Don't skimp on firebox size. You will not regret going bigger with firebox size. Good luck!

My $0.02- I'd spend the extra money up front, and get the NC-30. It's a done deal at that point, and you'll have no regrets. Unless you want to re-load the stove everytime you do the "night-pee" thing. Just my thoughts, I may be wrong. ;-)

You will be feeding that napoleon every 4 to 6 hrs on soft wood and sucking wind most likely at -30 depending on your insulation. The rest of the time it may cook you out unless you feed the stove more frequent with smaller loads.
My 2 cents.

Thanks for the responses. This is pretty much what i was thinking, but just wanted confirmation. I'm not very familiar at all with Napolean stoves and was trying to decide whether there was any reason to consider it.

You might want to measure the fire box volume yourself. I never measured the Napoleon but the Englander is no where near 3.5 cu ft, more like 2.7 when I measured.

The NC-30 is $1199 with free shipping in PA right now, im waiting until late winter and perhaps i can snag another one for $669.00 for my wood shop. Got one last winter at that price.

I'm in Canada, so all the US deals don't apply. Sells locally for $1049 regular price anyways.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/3/HouseHome/1/HeatingAirConditioning/WoodStoves/PRD~0642845P/Timber+Ridge+Wood+Stove,+2200+sq.+ft+(E.P.A.).jsp?locale=en

Coming from someone who sells Napoleon stoves among others, between the two stoves I would go with the Englander 30! More bang (bigger stove) for the buck and it's well made.

Status
Not open for further replies.