Which stoves require only ember protection? Now with a poll!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Should wood stove manufacturers create stoves that require ember protection only?

• No, I see no good reason for this

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

raybonz

Minister of Fire
Feb 5, 2008
Carver, MA.
I was wondering what stoves require only ember protection for the hearth design.. Please list your stove it only requires ember protection..Pacific Energy Alderlea T-5 requires ember protection only with no R-value number..

I thought this would be helpful to those either upgrading or installing a new stove and very good feature in my opinion..

Ray

My Lopi Endeavor and the BK princess only require a non-combustible surface.

When I bought my Hampton H200 I found conflicting information. The sticker on the back just says non-combustible material. The manual on page 8 under "Residential Installation" says the same except when using the short leg option, then 0.84 K of floor protector beneath the non-combustible finished floor. Then later in the manual on page 11, under "Floor Protection" it says you need a minimum of 1/2" thick thermal floor protector with a 0.84k factor when installing the standard or the short legs...........So, I found this to be very confusing and conflicting. I think someone changed there mind somewhere along the line and didn't update all parts of the manual. Regency/Hampton had no explanation for the conflicting information. After burning the stove, I have never found it to be any hotter than 120 F on the floor below the stove. I did not get to burn it much last winter as it was just installed in late February, so I will be checking it again this winter after more burning.

Excellent I am compiling a list.. I looked at Englander's site last night and found the 30 has lesser hearth requirements than the 13 which was a surprise to me.. It sure would make things simple if all manufacturers would stick to a single standard especially to require ember protection only.. This certainly could be done and would make stove swap outs much easier.. I feel the insuarance companies would be in favor of it as well.. Here is the list so far:

Pacific Energy Alderlea T-5
Pacific Energy Super 27
Lopi Endeavor
Blaze King Princess
Hampton H200 (unsure, manual gives conflicting information)

Ray

madison said:
Typically local building code follows mfg's recommendations, I was wondering if anyone has come across were local code or for that matter insurers demanding more than mfg's specs?

My town requires that you have the manual present when they inspect the stove and they read it and measure.. I believe your T-6 is ember protection only as well?

Ray

Holy cow Ray. Are you installing another stove? Sounds like we may be in for a hard winter folks! Build your woodpiles big. :)

Backwoods Savage said:
Holy cow Ray. Are you installing another stove? Sounds like we may be in for a hard winter folks! Build your woodpiles big. :)

LOL noooooooo... It was something that I wondered about.. I am pretty sure the Woodstocks are ember protection only based on their hearth building pdf.. That is one of the easiest to understand explanations around..

With the winds we may be getting here tomorrow I may have a huge amount of firewood hopefully not from my house getting hit by trees! A corner got hit by a tree years ago when a huge white pine snapped during the winter in heavy winds..

Ray

We're thinking of you and others in the area and wish you good luck. Hopefully the winds will decrease even more before they get to you.

Backwoods Savage said:
We're thinking of you and others in the area and wish you good luck. Hopefully the winds will decrease even more before they get to you.

Thanx Dennis we're gonna need it.. Gonna have to see how it goes and stay away from the side of the house where all the big trees live..

Ray

jotul oslo 500 is ember protection only as well. Install in a mobile home requires more than ember protection.

Our Regency CS 1200 (and several additional offerings from Regency) only requires ember protection. Hope that helps.

turbocruiser said:
Our Regency CS 1200 (and several additional offerings from Regency) only requires ember protection. Hope that helps.

Yes that helps and thank you! What I'd like to see is all stoves made to ember protection only specification or at least an option to get them to this standard.. If Englander were to do this I would definitely keep them on my short list.. Just think how much easier buying a stove would be for existing stove owners.. OK here is the updated list:

All Pacific Energy Alderlea stoves
Pacific Energy Super 27
Pacific Energy Summit
Lopi Endeavor
Blaze King Princess
Regency CS1200
Jotul Oslo 500

Ray

Backwoods Savage said:

Dennis do you know if all Woodstocks are ember protection only stoves?

Ray

I also know that the Regency CS2400 (big brother to the 1200) is ember only. I haven't really researched this for a fully accurate list but I think that most of the Regency Stoves are ember only protection. With the 1200 and 2400 you can actually store wood right under the firebox in the wood storage spot they integrated into the stove stand! Pretty cool place, no pun intended.

Vermont Castings Encore with bottom heat shield - ember protection only.

Another interesting spec. also is the clearances to combustibles; this was one important factor to me.

All of the current Enviro freestanding stoves are ember protection only.

thechimneysweep said:
All Pacific Energy models require ember protection only. This includes the Vista series, Super Series, Summit Series, Alderlea Series and the True North. In the Hearthstone lineup, only the Bari, Tula and Mighty Mansfield can be installed with ember protection only.
Thanx Tom the list is growing..

Ray

JimboM said:
Vermont Castings Encore with bottom heat shield - ember protection only.

Thanx Jimbo and all others! Here is the updated list :

All Pacific Energy Alderlea stoves
All Pacific Energy models
Lopi Endeavor
Blaze King Princess
Regency CS1200
Jotul Oslo 500
Hearthstone Bari, Tula and Mansfield
Vermont Castings Encore (with bottom heatshield)
All Enviro freestanding stoves

Ray

Ubookz said:
Another interesting spec. also is the clearances to combustibles; this was one important factor to me.

Thanx Ubookz perhaps we need a list that fit this requirement?

Ray

I didn't see it mentioned, but the BK Chinook also only requires an ember protection shield w/ no R value.

Status
Not open for further replies.