Which stoves require only ember protection? Now with a poll!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Should wood stove manufacturers create stoves that require ember protection only?

• No, I see no good reason for this

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hass said:
I didn't see it mentioned, but the BK Chinook also only requires an ember protection shield w/ no R value.

Thanx Hass I added it to the list.. I wonder how everyone else feels about this subject? I would like to create a poll to see if people feel this would be a good thing for stoves to meet ember protection only or an option such as a lower heat shield to get the stove to this level..

Ray

Jotul rangeley is (enber only) and check the clearances.

Jotul.com Jotul F 50 TL

It wont let me paste. I was gonna go with Woodstock till i see the hearth requirements and clearances.Not saying anything bad of Woodstock, just don't have the room to fit it.I would love to have had 1.This stove is really nice though and rugged as he_ _.

Bub381 said:
Jotul rangeley is (enber only) and check the clearances.

Jotul.com Jotul F 50 TL

It wont let me paste.

Thanx Bub! I am not diving into clearances but maybe some one will.. This is more of a Yes-No Ember protection thread.. Here's the latest list:

All Pacific Energy Alderlea stoves
All Pacific Energy models
Lopi Endeavor
Blaze King Chinook
Blaze King Princess
Hampton H200 (unsure, manual gives conflicting information)
Regency CS1200
Jotul Oslo 500
Jotul Rangely
Hearthstone Bari, Tula and Mansfield
Vermont Castings Encore (with bottom heatshield)
All Enviro freestanding stoves

Ray

Sorry,i thought you mentioned clearances were gonna come into play as well.Wrong person. :roll:

Bub381 said:
Sorry,i thought you mentioned clearances were gonna come into play as well.Wrong person. :roll:

No problem Bub, Ubookz brought that up but my thing at the moment concerns simplifying hearth building requirements.. To me this is good for inspectors, insurance companies and consumers. Clearances are a more complicated issue but a larger hearth would satisfy this requirement.. Many stove makers do offer heat shields to reduce this.. My T-5 is convection and comes with heat shields as part of the stove..

Ray

my F100 only neededs ember protection
seems good to me

Lopi Revere insert is ember protection only.

Part of the issue with no R Value being required, is I bet the majority of the stoves have a firebox a decent amount above the hearth compared to stoves that require a R value.
When I was reading up about the different R value requirements and why some require differently, it's because of the height of the firebox in regards to the hearth.

jeeper said:
Lopi Revere insert is ember protection only.

Thanx added your and Lynch's stove to the list..

Lopi Endeavor
Lopi Revere
Blaze King Chinook
Blaze King Princess
Regency CS1200
Jotul F100
Jotul Oslo 500
Jotul Rangely

Ray

Hass said:
Part of the issue with no R Value being required, is I bet the majority of the stoves have a firebox a decent amount above the hearth compared to stoves that require a R value.
When I was reading up about the different R value requirements and why some require differently, it's because of the height of the firebox in regards to the hearth.

A simple bottom heat shield would take care of this in many instances..

Ray

Standard heat shields with the Rangeley also.6" legs help i'm sure. Convection and radiant stove.

Bub381 said:
Standard heat shields with the Rangeley also.6" legs help i'm sure. Convection and radiant stove.

Sounds much like my old CDW setup.. Polls so far while early look favorable for ember protection only...

Ray

lopi republic 1750

bk sirocco and ashford 30

Thanx added your and Lynch's stove to the list..

All Pacific Energy models including TrueNorth and Alderlea
Lopi Endeavor
Lopi Revere
Blaze King Chinook
Blaze King Princess
Regency CS1200
Jotul F100
Jotul Oslo 500
Jotul Rangely

Ray
Ray--this is the list you sent me March 2013 when I was asking the same question. Just thought this was interesting.

"I compiled this list a while back but it is not complete of ember protection only stoves:

Lopi Endeavor
Lopi Revere
Blaze King Chinook
Blaze King Princess
Regency CS1200
Jotul F100
Jotul Oslo 500
Jotul Rangely
Jotul F55 I think too..

Ray"

By the way, the Aldlera T-5 has worked out great so thanks for you advice.. It is a little big for my space so sometimes I have to get the summer clothes out. But I have started putting fans near the back rooms and finished basement stairs to even things out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: raybonz
Mine: Regency F1100S, ember protection only.
Also has low rear CTC (5" with DW pipe)

Ray--this is the list you sent me March 2013 when I was asking the same question. Just thought this was interesting.

"I compiled this list a while back but it is not complete of ember protection only stoves:

Lopi Endeavor
Lopi Revere
Blaze King Chinook
Blaze King Princess
Regency CS1200
Jotul F100
Jotul Oslo 500
Jotul Rangely
Jotul F55 I think too..

Ray"

By the way, the Aldlera T-5 has worked out great so thanks for you advice.. It is a little big for my space so sometimes I have to get the summer clothes out. But I have started putting fans near the back rooms and finished basement stairs to even things out.

We can add Century Hearth FW2470 and 2700 if my interpretation of their manual is correct.

"If the stove is to be installed on top of a combustible floor, it must be guarded by a non
combustible material as shown on figure 1.3 (see the dotted line area). "

"*Steel with a minimum thickness of 0.015’’ (0.38 mm) or ceramic tiles sealed together
with grout. No protection is required if the unit is installed on a non-combustible floor (ex:
concrete). "

Page 7 of the manual:
http://www.century-heating.com/upload/documents/manuels/45398A_12-06-2013-0002.pdf

It's also pretty low cost which may put it into somebody's price range.

I think the Castine F400 was ember protection only too. It may be easier to say most Jotul and Regency stoves. Someone needs to check SBI (Drolet, Osburn, Enerzone) and Wolf (Napoleon and Timberwolf).

Buck Model 81 - non-combustible.

Just to be sure, I used 1/4" hot-rolled steel plate over 1/4" Hardiebacker. Non-combustible and indestructible!

buck 81.jpg

Yes, I know the glass is blackened. I've given up.

I was wondering what stoves require only ember protection for the hearth design.. Please list your stove it only requires ember protection..Pacific Energy Alderlea T-5 requires ember protection only with no R-value number..

I thought this would be helpful to those either upgrading or installing a new stove and very good feature in my opinion..

Ray
Wow, you started this in 2011, and people are still adding to it.

You can add the Hearthstone Heritage to it, which fairly newly is ember protection only. The little Tribute is also EPO. Can't remember the details from the last time I went browsing, but it may be that all the Hearthstone soapstone models are now EPO, except for the Homestead, which is intended only as an in-fireplace stove and requires an R-value of I think 4 even with long legs.

Wow, you started this in 2011, and people are still adding to it.

You can add the Hearthstone Heritage to it, which fairly newly is ember protection only. The little Tribute is also EPO. Can't remember the details from the last time I went browsing, but it may be that all the Hearthstone soapstone models are now EPO, except for the Homestead, which is intended only as an in-fireplace stove and requires an R-value of I think 4 even with long legs.
Current list.. Appears ember protection is popular..

Lopi Endeavor
Lopi Revere
Blaze King Chinook
Blaze King Princess
Blaze King Sirocco
Blaze King Chinook 20
Regency CS1200
Jotul F100
Drolet Myriad
Englander VL17
Century stoves
Quad Isle Royale
Osburn (2200)
Jotul 400 Castine
Hearthstone Mansfield
Hearthstone Heritage
Jotul Oslo 500
Jotul Rangely
Napoleon 1100, 1100L, 1100C, 1150, 1400, 1400L, 1450 & 1900
Most Lopi and Avalon lines including the Sheffield, Leyden and Arbor
Most Buck and Country stove lines (3/8" non-combustible) etc.

Ray

Current list.. Appears ember protection is popular..

Ray

Add the Hearsthone Tribute to your list.

Ember protection only is popular, and for good reason. Seems they've figured out how to do this easily enough, so I hope we're seeing the end of those R-value calculations for hearths pretty soon.

Don't know why Hearthstone doesn't add that option to the Homestead, which now sticks out like a sore thumb in their line of stoves for lacking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.