Which Summers Heat model would be best?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunflint

Jan 27, 2008
IL
I bought two of these at Lowe's while they had there clearance and I'm not sure which one to go with in our house. I got 1 of the 55-SHP10 and 1 of the 55-SHP22 and I'll tell you about our house.

It's a brand new construction with 1100 sq ft on the main level and 1240 on the 2nd floor. It's also very "tight" I built it and I chalked and sealed every seam & window before I insulated the walls. I will be putting this unit on the main floor and I'm hoping that the heat will travel up our open staircase and through the floor to the upstairs.

My concern with the bigger unit is that it may blow you out of the 1st floor and I don't want that. Also I do have vent-less propane fireplaces in the master bedroom upstairs and in the basement to help supplement if the heat is lacking. I just want to make sure if I go with the smaller unit I'll be able to feel it.

Thanks for your help!

Every house is going to be different, of course... I've got 1250 downstairs and 1250 upstairs, and pretty closed traditional 2 story suburban house. I have the 55-shp10 and it does a fine job of heating the downstairs, at about 7 degrees, but it'll be a good 5 degrees cooler upstairs, but I do feel the heat coming up the staircase. I'm not saying that you'll have the same experience, though.

Thanks for the reply - Do you have a small staircase or an open staircase?

Also what state are you in?

It's closed in, and moderately narrow - 36-40" wide or so... I'm in Ohio, where our avg temp doesn't ever drop below freezing I don't think...

Ok thanks for that info. I'm in central IL so we are about the same climate. Also with my staircase being a 10' X 10' open staircase I'm thinking the smaller may do fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.