Which truck...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CodyWayne718

Feeling the Heat
Dec 11, 2009
Kentucky
2007 Colorado crew cab 4×4 inline 5 72k miles or 2009 Tacoma crew cab 4.0 113k miles... both are right at 20k... I was dead set on a Tacoma because I bought a 2006 x runner brand new and after five years with about 65k miles, I never had any problem with the truck whatsoever... it seems the Colorado's hold their value pretty well like the Tacomas so I'm at a cross road... just looking for opinions or experiences, good and bad... appreciate it!

Tacoma

Yeah that's where I'm leaning

I can't believe the prices of the dang things really

Tacoma, although the hauling rating is not so good. Have a 2006 not a problem ever.

Hungry? Out of work? Eat your import auto. Yes I know they are assembled in the US but where does the profit go? The Bank of Japan owns Toyota. Think they are reinvesting the profits here?

Reactions: rwilly and johninwi
I'm all done with Toyota after all their frame rot issues. Missed the recall window on mine, as did so many others who were in the dark. Not sure which model years are worse (mine was '01), but owners of Tacoma, Tundra and Sequoia frames should be aware there have been ongoing rot problems since the 90s. Hopefully an '09 is solid.

The Bank of Japan owns Toyota. Think they are reinvesting the profits here?

Maybe just as likely as any American-based multi-national is (who knows where the next factory is going to be located). And does profit really all get "invested" anymore? Many wealth companies and individuals simply speculate, and seek out the best returns the global capital markets can offer. Seems lately those returns come from leveraging debt and profiting from inflating asset values, rather than supporting productive enterprises that hire Americans.

I appreciate your sentiments about supporting the American worker and the domestic economy, but in a globally integrated economy it's hard to know which multi-nationals to give your business to. You may very well be right in this particular instance, but I don't think you can any longer just assume that buying a domestic brand over a foreign brand automatically does more good for the domestic economy. To really know, you would have to follow all the money through a pretty complex supply chain. Without doing that, one could easily purchase a domestic brand that actually helped the American worker LESS than the purchase of a foreign brand would.

Reactions: sloeffle
Maybe just as likely as any American-based multi-national is (who knows where the next factory is going to be located). And does profit really all get "invested" anymore? Many wealth companies and individuals simply speculate, and seek out the best returns the global capital markets can offer. Seems lately those returns come from leveraging debt and profiting from inflating asset values, rather than supporting productive enterprises that hire Americans.

I appreciate your sentiments about supporting the American worker and the domestic economy, but in a globally integrated economy it's hard to know which multi-nationals to give your business to. You may very well be right in this particular instance, but I don't think you can any longer just assume that buying a domestic brand over a foreign brand automatically does more good for the domestic economy. To really know, you would have to follow all the money through a pretty complex supply chain. Without doing that, one could easily purchase a domestic brand that actually helped the American worker LESS than the purchase of a foreign brand would.
I didn't expect a kind reception, I appreciate your reasonable reply.
I don't believe in globalexploitation and will continue my small private resistance, pointless though it may be.

I'm all done with Toyota after all their frame rot issues. Missed the recall window on mine, as did so many others who were in the dark. Not sure which model years are worse (mine was '01), but owners of Tacoma, Tundra and Sequoia frames should be aware there have been ongoing rot problems since the 90s. Hopefully an '09 is solid.
No, since far longer than that. When I had my big shop, I used to fix an average of 3 Toyota truck frames per month. I had profile patterns, developed a work around for the (then) hyper-expensive high pressure fuel line, installed a truck lift, etc. It was a good gig for many years.

Toyota, just like any other publicly held company is owned by stockholders from all over the world. You are probably the owner of Toyota stock via a 401k / retirement fund etc. Honda employs more Ohioans ( 15,000 ) than any other auto company.

We live in a globalized economy. The old days of everything being built in one country are long gone.
Look into it, I did, The Bank of Japan is the majority owner of Toyota, and no, all my holdings are in American manufacturing companies (we still do more manufacturing here than anywhere else).

I will continue to work for Americans in my limited capacity, thanks.

Reactions: rwilly
Save another $7-8K and buy something new with no miles on it. I'd buy anything new over either of your options. I paid $28K in 2011 for my F150 XLT extended cab 4X4. For the life of me I can't understand how people pay $20K plus for trucks with close to 100K miles on them.

Reactions: Beer Belly
Save another $7-8K and buy something new with no miles on it. I'd buy anything new over either of your options. I paid $28K in 2011 for my F150 XLT extended cab 4X4. For the life of me I can't understand how people pay $20K plus for trucks with close to 100K miles on them.
I'm glad you said that. My buddy came to the same conclusion looking at used Tacomas. He paid 10K more to have 100K less miles on the truck and got the one he wanted.

I'm glad you said that. My buddy came to the same conclusion looking at used Tacomas. He paid 10K more to have 100K less miles on the truck and got the one he wanted.

Back in 2010 I did some number crunching . . . and came to the same conclusion . . . the difference back then was even more notable though since no one was buying V-8 gas guzzlers with the price of gas back then . . . add in a very old (tired, but tried and true) design that had changed very little since its debut . . . the dealership had tons to choose from and had some very good rebates. I ended up paying $25,900 for a brand new truck while used ones were selling for just a few thousand less (anywhere from $18,000 to $23,000 depending on year and mileage). I also ended up getting $5,000 as a trade on a 10-year old 4Runner with 100,000 plus miles (more than I anticipated.)

The interest rate also came in less than my best offer -- 3.22%. This was not as good as my wife's most recent purchase, but at the time it was pretty good.

Honestly, I think it was all about timing for us though . . . end of the fiscal year and quarter (bought in the last week of December) and as mentioned, no one was buying V-8 pick-ups based on a very old design so rebates were up and there was an incentive to move stock.

Hungry? Out of work? Eat your import auto. Yes I know they are assembled in the US but where does the profit go? The Bank of Japan owns Toyota. Think they are reinvesting the profits here?
Since he's looking at used trucks, I doubt any of his money will go to Japan.
I vote for the toyota, but they go for a premium on the used market. I haven't heard any good things about the colorado.

Reactions: sloeffle
Since he's looking at used trucks, I doubt any of his money will go to Japan.
I vote for the toyota, but they go for a premium on the used market. I haven't heard any good things about the colorado.
Have you heard any bad?

Had one of those, a 1999 absolute worst truck i ever owned, and iv been driving trucks daily for 42 years. Im sure the new ones are better. Ford not much better although its been quite a few years since i took a chance on one. been driving GM silverados since the mid 80s and i cant find any reason whatsoever to change. In the market to upgrade as my daily driver truck is 20+ years old. I want the same thing i have only 10 years newer.

Had one of those, a 1999 absolute worst truck i ever owned
Reall i am curious what the problems were. Other than the rust issues i have never really heard any complaints about them. For what they are of course i knew guys that treated them like they were fullsized trucks and they were not happy but that was their own fault

Reall i am curious what the problems were. Other than the rust issues i have never really heard any complaints about them. For what they are of course i knew guys that treated them like they were fullsized trucks and they were not happy but that was their own fault
Where should i start. Lousy gas mileage,oil leaks,gas leaks, rusting before my eyes, sheet metal as thin as tinfoil, cant haul 500 lbs without the bed hitting the rubber bumper blocks on the axle, all at the ripe old mileage of 77000 miles and 7 yrs old. And i dont abuse my trucks but i do like to do some work now and then.

Where should i start. Lousy gas mileage,oil leaks,gas leaks, rusting before my eyes, sheet metal as thin as tinfoil, cant haul 500 lbs without the bed hitting the rubber bumper blocks on the axle, all at the ripe old mileage of 77000 miles and 7 yrs old. And i dont abuse my trucks but i do like to do some work now and then.
Ok then i knew about the rust obviously everyone does but the rest of it surprises me other than the low load capacity i have heard that many times before as well

Lots of koolaid drinkers here.
72k vs 113k, seriously? No brainer.

Reactions: wildcatbb
Lots of koolaid drinkers here.
72k vs 113k, seriously? No brainer.
Well personally i wouldn't by either of them at that mileage for that price but i would absolutely not buy the Colorado that straight 5 was not a very good motor

Status
Not open for further replies.