Which UPS Battery Back Up?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deercamp

Jan 3, 2013
se mass
I am trying to decide which UPS to get. The APC BE750G or the TrippLite INTERNET750U.
Which one do you suggest? Ty

Reactions: 02809bristol
They have identical specs, identical prices, and both are specifically recommended by Harman. You probably can't go wrong with either.

I'm going for the APC because they advertise a replaceable battery (don't think TrippLite does) and brand recognition. Heard about APC power supplies for years but never heard of a TrippLite UPS before.

They have identical specs, identical prices, and both are specifically recommended by Harman. You probably can't go wrong with either.

I'm going for the APC because they advertise a replaceable battery (don't think TrippLite does) and brand recognition. Heard about APC power supplies for years but never heard of a TrippLite UPS before.

How long does it last? Wouldnt you be better off getting a small generator - the Earthquake one is just 250 and lasts 12hrs on a gal
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FL89I2W/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Reactions: Arti
Heard about APC power supplies for years but never heard of a TrippLite UPS before.
I was buying TrippLite's in the 1990's. They both make good products. The 750 or one size larger is a good size choice.

Anyone ever jury-rig a car battery for a spent 12v UPS battery ?

How long does it last? Wouldnt you be better off getting a small generator - the Earthquake one is just 250 and lasts 12hrs on a gal
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FL89I2W/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
A UPS will switch and condition power automatically. I've had batteries last 6-8 years. Replacing a battery for one is not bad. Ordered one for $26 delivered for a 500va system. A battery for 750 should be around $40. Our power outages usually are less than 15 minutes and the power surge on power resumption is a killer for most electronics. I have a small genny but usually by the time one can get out to the garage to get it the event is done. Have freestanding gas fireplace for any real event. Yes some have made extended power systems using external batteries.

Yes some have made extended power systems using external batteries.

I've done this.

2013-01-21_19-06-24_819.jpg

Anyone running a generator/UPS combo for extended power outages?

I do that too.

If I have a power failure lasting longer than 1 hour, I will typically roll out the generator. The UPS serves 3 main purposes.

1. Protect against brief outages and keep smoke out of the house.
2. Keeps the stove running if I'm away from the house for an extended period and can't fire up the generator.
3. Allows me to shut the noisy generator down at night and still keep warm.

I have the APC XS1300 battery backup, I like it because it has a digital readout that lets you know some good info, like the time remaining, watt draw and more. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apc-bac...18081367657&skuId=9307797&st=Xs1300&cp=1&lp=1

I also have a generator, however it is not hooked up the the outlet the stove runs on. Instead I have my oil burner hooked up to it, usually when our power does go out it is not for very long. I mainly got the APC just so it would give me time to shut the stove down without filling the house with smoke, and also provide surge protection.

I have powered my stove from the genny for 4 days straight, no issues. I would like to "clean" the power from the genny, and plan to put my UPS between the genny and the stove. Anyone tried this? Is a power conditioner/line conditioner required before the UPS? Just worried about the sensitive electronics on the control board.

Any serious company that have a "sensitive board" in its product should use the right filtering built-in the power supply, imho. It is only a couple of dollars worth anyway. I can't believe that a short over voltage spike would kill a multi-thousand dollars appliance!

I would sure like to know what UPS you can run a generator through. The 12,000 VA Powerware unit I had in the basement mini data center (before I retired and sold it all) would not put up with modified/stepped sine wave input and the multiple 800 and 1,250 VA APC and Cyberpower units I have in the house now won't either.

Reactions: Augmister
I would sure like to know what UPS you can run a generator through. The 12,000 VA Powerware unit I had in the basement mini data center (before I retired and sold it all) would not put up with modified/stepped sine wave input and the multiple 800 and 1,250 VA APC and Cyberpower units I have in the house now won't either.

What happens when the generator is running? Does the UPS just stay on battery?

Keeps going on and off battery. One of the reasons they say not to chain UPS units. It does the same thing and just runs the first one down.

Keeps going on and off battery. One of the reasons they say not to chain UPS units. It does the same thing and just runs the first one down.

Strange, I have several ups's (?) of varying makes on computers, TV's, DVR CCTV system and of course the pellet stove and all seem to accept the generator power without switching. The generator does wire direct to the main house box. In all fairness I must disclose that I run the oil monster instead of the pellet stove when the power goes out as I don't like the idea of a potentially fried control board. I will have to pay closer attention next time the power goes out and see just what the all are doing.

This weekend, I will roll out the generator, fire it up then bring out my APC and plug it in. You've all made me wonder.

It would be useful to know what kind of generator we are talking about. A newer, inverter type might not go well with an UPS but the traditionnal, alternator kind should be OK as the electricity it produce is similar to utility.

It would be useful to know what kind of generator we are talking about. A newer, inverter type might not go well with an UPS but the traditionnal, alternator kind should be OK as the electricity it produce is similar to utility.

I would think the opposite would be true. An inverter generator produces pure sine wave power, just like utility power. Most conventional generators produce modified sine wave power...that's what gives the UPS issues. Some correct me if I'm wrong here, I'm no expert.

An inverter takes a DC signal and transforms it into AC. The AC signal it creates is not a pure sine wave and can wreak havoc with certain electronics. An alternator is just a small version of the larger generators that generate the electricity at full size power plants. Since these alternators work just like their large counterparts, the AC they produce is also comparable.

Reactions: SwineFlue
An inverter takes a DC signal and transforms it into AC. The AC signal it creates is not a pure sine wave and can wreak havoc with certain electronics.

True for a stepped sign inverter. Pure sign inverters can have harmonic distortion at or below that of grid power. Got to check those specs on generator power as well. Not all are equal but preferable over modified sign inverters.

I have powered my stove from the genny for 4 days straight, no issues. I would like to "clean" the power from the genny, and plan to put my UPS between the genny and the stove. Anyone tried this? Is a power conditioner/line conditioner required before the UPS? Just worried about the sensitive electronics on the control board.

Last time I looked into it, consumer grade UPS are not designed to filter out the harmonic distortion created by a generator or grid power. Grid power is around 5% harmonic distortion. Some places less, some more. If your Genny is spec'd around that number no worries.

The main point is that folks need to test their setups when the lights are still on and it isn't three degrees outside.

Some APC units have been sold that were designed to run off of modified sine wave generators, or in countries where the utility power is not as clean as in the US, and they perform well (but are not cheap). I use one now, connected to external batteries (sorry, cannot remember exact model and it's two floors away right now). Others from the same company (not designed for generator power) may perform less well. My small, office-size Cyberpower UPS experienced the same problem on generator that you describe and were taken out of service because of that. As you note in a later post, best to test one's entire setup when the weather is balmy and there is no need for the generator or the UPS.

Also, the closer one can get to a pure sine wave generator, the better (but more expensive).

Last edited:
i run a cyberpower pure sine
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1VVQWB5QZ6RZHHKT4Y3W

gives me about an hour to decide if i want to shut down the stove with a good end run of smoke up the chute. 95% of my power outages here last less than 30 min, usually from a branch or some drunk idiot hitting a pole/etc more than weather (i have underground power in my street, but the main state road is above ground).

A generator is still on my list to do, but i still can't justify the expense of something I won't use enough, and probably won't have fuel on hand for that is stabelized... etc. I have a cord of wood in the back yard, and if things got THaT cold, i'd pull the exhaust and stove out and start burning and deal with re-installing later.

Or, just shut my water off and go to my parent's house about 3 miles away who have a gas fireplace and external tank and a spare bedroom :D

Status
Not open for further replies.