Which Vermont Castings Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I load my Oslo @ 9:00 PM and reload @ 6:00 AM. There are always more than enough coals left. I generally load it full, leave the door cracked, and it's fully ablaze within 5-10 minutes.

Well, we put down our deposit on the stove. All told with a new liner, cap, installation it is going to be about 4700 and change. Not too bad, the owner gave us $400 off the total job!

I have an Oslo. By the way, I am a refugee from Vermont Castings. I once had a new 1988 Resolute and it was a great stove.
After reading the reviews on this forum, no way I was going to get a VC stove today, what a sad story.

So I installed an Oslo last fall. The house was under construction then, I only got to burn the Oslo for the last 2 months of last winter.
I like the stove, it is beautiful, great view of the fire. I can't give a good number on burn times because most of the time the stove was running, I was on the road in the 18 wheeler, the fiancee was running the stove.

I like the Oslo but I must say it is messy. Either front door or side door I get ash spills all the time, never had a stove that spilled so much ash.
But ash spills are not a big deal, that is what a hearth broom and a fiancee are for.

I am really looking forward to this winter. I have a big firewood supply, primarily black walnut but also lots of red oak and locust. Most of my wood is really dry, and getting drier, in my solar powered woodshed. Lots and lots of pine and cedar kindling, really dry, and a case of supercedars.

Last edited:
Hi Dan- I think you will find many happy Oslo owners here, it is probably the most popular cast iron stove in America, I'd say definitely in New England. It retails for about 2539 in matte black and Jotul does have a change out program going on till the end of August of up to 300 dollars off if it's replacing an old non epa rated stove or going into a fireplace. The dealer gives half, Jotul gives half. Its a great time to buy an Oslo, we sell it normally for 2299, with the 300 additional being 1999, it costs less than some very good steel stoves. I think you will find it to be a superb heater, but I too would have added to check out the F55 Carrabassett, it is a heat hammer and a very good value as well. Good luck, I think you made a great choice. There are a lot of good stoves out there, your firewood sounds ready to go too. Stay warm.

IMG_3249.JPG IMG_3250.JPG IMG_3251.JPG IMG_3242.JPG So here are three shots of the jotul f500 installed today. Passed inspection, just need to do my three break in fires and I am set. Thank you so much for your help guys! I got my stove because of your suggestions. Attached are three photos of the stove and one of the liner they used. Any input on the final install would be appreciated thank you!

Sincerely,
Dan

Nice choice! You won't be sorry you passed on the VC. Looks good!

Nice choice! You won't be sorry you passed on the VC. Looks good!

The installer said they (VC) were great like 25 years ago, since they have been bought out quality has gone way down. He said the f500 they were using in the showroom has needed nothing in five years. That made me feel even better about my purchase!

The installer said they (VC) were great like 25 years ago, since they have been bought out quality has gone way down. He said the f500 they were using in the showroom has needed nothing in five years. That made me feel even better about my purchase!
In reality VC was never "great". They just had no competition...

Bought my Oslo back in 2008 . . . just last year I finally had to replace a couple of the gaskets and I opted to replace the insulation above the baffle since it was getting a bit ratty . . . wicked reliable.

Incidentally, looks like a very large hearth. Typically folks want smaller hearths for the space savings. If you have any pets I suspect their new, favorite spot to sleep this winter will be right in front of the woodstove on that hearth.

Beautiful install and I think you'll be warm. Good luck with her.

When you see reviews like this one below from the site you referenced (or here) you need to keep in mind that many if not most problems with "stoves" are really wood quality or flue issues. The drafts that power a wood stove system are generated primarily by the flue. A stove will not operate properly without the flue that creates the vacuum (draft) that promotes combustion.

"I purchased three Jotul stoves. I traded one in and sold one. I still have the third one. I replaced the two with Quqdrifire stoves. Much better stove! The Jotuls were too hard to get started - not enough draft - and they would sometimes stink the house up. My chimneys are first class - new home. Had the dealer and company rep to my home and they could not fix them. They tried new gaskets and all kinds of tricks. I had enough. I also bought two Joutul gas parlor stoves and they are just OK. I would not recommend Jotul."

Congrats and welcome. Have fun learning your new stove.

Still loving that over-sized hearth . . . if you have pets I suspect they will like it even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.