Which way does your woodshed face?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rory

Jan 10, 2009
Central Me
I imagine that facing South is ideal with East a close second, followed by West and trailed by North, but some people's yards and entryways just don't allow for ideal placement, and the roof is by far the most important component anyways. Who has woodsheds in a snowy clime facing West or North, and how does it work for you?

Wind blows from the west here. Open stacks run south-north so west wind can blow through entire stack.

If I had a shed that was open on one side, I'd leave have the opening to the east, southeast, or south. Of course, if I had limited space, it would go wherever it fit best.

Run East West ( face N) .
Winter only the south side gets sun. Now N & S getting sun.
N side in the sun early morning,
then hottest sun on the S face until evening
then N side gets some evening sun .

I have doors on my wood sheds, I got sick of the snow blowing in them. The doors on both shed face the East.

South . . . but like PapaDave . . . it just worked out that way as I had some footings already in place and it faces my back yard and back porch in that way . . . and just like PapaDave, for me it doesn't matter since the wood is dried a year or two before it goes into the shed and then it gets to sit there for another year before I burn it as I have a large woodshed.

East to west during the fall and winter this year as the winds blow out of the north. I also have north/south stacks on the property line that will benefit from the westerly and occasionally easterly breezes in the spring and summer.

Right now, I split some about 2 weeks ago that I have stacked loosely at the end of the driveway and it is east/west. In the couple of weeks I have noticed lots of cracking happening in the splits. The wind still hits these pretty good for the next month or so. Always a good northerly breeze most days. This is like a pre-dry because I am going to move this onto the property line soon.

Don't know if any of this makes sense, but I figure if the wood is cracking, then its drying. Should help speed along the process.

Woodshed is the barn so it doesn't matter as the barn is closed. However, the stacks outside generally run north/south.

Mine faces South , but it's because it faces the house as others have said . And, as others have said , it's only " seasoned wood "that goes into it .

Status
Not open for further replies.