Which way to load Englander NC30?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jreed

Jan 13, 2010
MD
I am curious how everyone loads their NC30. My old stove I always loaded side to side (it was wider than it was deep). However, the NC30 is deeper than it is wide so my wood is slightly too long to load side to side. How does everyone here load? Does it matter?

I tend to load east-west, but lately I have been loading longer odd-ball wood pieces diagonally. In most stoves I have had it does not really matter.

First year, we loaded our 30NCH north/south (i.e. splits perpendicular to the glass). Put out a ton of heat, burned through a lot of wood. This year we loaded east/west (i.e. splits parallel to the glass) and the stove put out a ton of heat, burned less wood, longer burn times, was more controllable, gave a better view of the burn (IMHO) and had the glass stayed cleaner - as the out-gas from the end of the splits blew against the side of the stove vs the glass.

Good luck,
Bill

We don't have a 30NC, but the T6 has a similarly sized firebox. We burn North/South for quicker heat and easy startups, East/West for longer burns. In general we tend to burn N/S more in the shoulder seasons and E/W when burning 24/7 in the winter.

I burn 90% of the time N/S because its much easier to load and gives better heat with a better burn. But the 30 isn't my MAIN source of heat. I heat Primarily with Pellets and use wood to supplement. If it was my only source, for the long burns, I would go E/W.

Status
Not open for further replies.