Which wood gas burns hotter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

turfman

Sep 20, 2011
western ny
I had a thought/question. I've seen discussions about oak burns hotter than maple and honey locust burns hotter than ash but my question is this ----- we are burning the smoke/gas right? So do these same woods produce more heat or is it possible that since we are burning the gasses it could be different?

Hope you can understand my thought process.

Just wondering ........

turfman said:
I had a thought/question. I've seen discussions about oak burns hotter than maple and honey locust burns hotter than ash but my question is this ----- we are burning the smoke/gas right? So do these same woods produce more heat or is it possible that since we are burning the gasses it could be different?

Hope you can understand my thought process.

Just wondering ........
You are burning the gas from pyrolisis in the lower chamber. In the upper chamber you are heating the water with conduction,convection & radiation. Different woods produce different coal beds etc, Randy

My limited observation has been boiler temp climbs faster with pine than oak. But you need to feed it twice as often. The pine was a lot less predictable on how long it would last.

gg

Status
Not open for further replies.