Which Wood Insert For A Small Fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KennyK

Feeling the Heat
Oct 26, 2011
Boston
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a wood burning fireplace insert for a small fireplace. My fireplace has a 30"x30" opening at the front, but is only 15" deep, and just 19 1/2" wide at the back.

I'd like to get the largest viewing window possible, preferably with the option of a screen so I can have it open at times, and of course I want the best quality stove I can find. With my measurements, my options seem pretty limited. I've been looking at the Hearthstone Morgan, The small Regency (I believe it's the i1200) and the dealer I've been talking too also mentioned there was possibly a Napoleon that would fit. I also saw a post on this site that mentioned an Enviro and perhaps there are others I don't know about.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm a first timer, who's never had a wood stove nor insert. I love the idea of burning wood to supplement my heating and having an efficient fireplace.

I live in Boston and little about my house if you're interested is that it's about 2000 sq. feet (first floor is probably about 750 sq. ft.), the fireplace is in the middle room of the first floor with a fairly open floor plan (dining room with fireplace opens to living room on one side and an open door to the kitchen on the other side. I have a ceiling fan in the room with the fireplace and the stairway to the upper two floors is also pretty open and accessible from the room with the fireplace.

Thanks for any and all help!

KennyK

Enviro 1200 would fit. 1700 won't causes of your depth. I would take a serious look at the Lopi 1750i. I think that's the biggest one that would fit in there. The mid sized avalon is the same stove but with different styling. With 2000 sq ft., you want the biggest thing you can get in there.

You have plenty of height. How deep is your hearth? Are you open to a freestanding stove mounted on your hearth? That would give you many more options.

My depth is 15". I just checked out the Lopi 1750i, and it looks like it might be too wide in the back (21-5/8") as my read width is only 19-1/2". Any thoughts on other models or the ones I mentioned?

I'm not crazy about having a freestanding stove as the room with the fireplace isn't too large, and it would mean extending the hearth and cutting more into the space. I also like the look of the inserts. Could possibly be convinced otherwise.

KennyK said:
My depth is 15". I just checked out the Lopi 1750i, and it looks like it might be too wide in the back (21-5/8") as my read width is only 19-1/2". Any thoughts on other models or the ones I mentioned?

I'm not crazy about having a freestanding stove as the room with the fireplace isn't too large, and it would mean extending the hearth and cutting more into the space. I also like the look of the inserts. Could possibly be convinced otherwise.
Looks like your only going to be able to get a small insert in there. If you're looking to heat primarily with wood, that may not cut it. If you want an overnight burn, then you should be looking for about 2.0cuft firebox size. The Regency Hearth Heater H2100 would probably work, but you might as well get a freestanding stove instead of one of those.

As far as hearth mounts go, take a look at the Jotul, Woodstock, and Hearthstone stoves. These are very beautiful furniture quality stoves.

The Jotul C450 has an adjustable depth. It can go into as little as 12.75" deep fireplace. What is the width, 13" in from the front of the fireplace? You will need 25.5" width at that point for this to fit. If it is close, a little brick grinding may make the difference. Also, how deep is the lintel on this fireplace?

Another option that might work would be to install a Regency Hearth heater. HI2100. It requires a deep hearth extension but will work with the shallowest fireplace.

http://www.regency-fire.com/Products/Wood/Wood-Inserts/H2100.aspx#

And welcome to the forums!

If you are looking for something with a large window opening, might I suggest the Osburn 1800? http://www.osburn-mfg.com/product.aspx?CategoId=7&Id=245&Page=photo

Osburn is about the only company left that makes a 'true' bay window stove. I've got it myself in my basement fireplace.

Download the manual here: http://www.osburn-mfg.com/forcedownload.aspx?strFile=images/poeles/manuel_en/36351024102011939.pdf

It should fit in your fireplace. It's available from local dealers or online retailers like Woodland Direct http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Firep...replace-Inserts/Osburn-1800-Wood-Stove-Insert

Disclaimer: I work for Osburn.

mellow said:
Can you post a picture of your fireplace, just wanted to make sure it is not a pre-fab, as that will require more research.

It's not a pre-fab. It's a real fireplace from approximately 1890 when the house was built. Any thoughts?

on lopi's website, they have specs for inserts that show you need less rear width with a masonry fireplace vs a prefab : lopi freedom rear width is 21.25 minimum, declaration is 21.5

the rear min. widths are usually wider (meaning you have more options than a prefab)with a masonry so you should be able to fit a Lopi---the republic line is the less expensive version (looks like just a different door) but same requirements as the fancier version. also check out the jotul winterport or the model that is one size larger. count your blessing that you have a masonry fireplace and not a prefab. napoleon makes a couple small ones too. I think your door/glass size is going to be roughly the same for most models. I really like the lopi and think they are priced right. there are many dealers who ship free on ebay if you are looking to install yourself. just get a flex liner and you're pretty much done with the expensive stuff and heating bill

I love the jotul inserts. I have the Winterport 350. I had hoped to get the Kennebec? 450, but the seller/installer said it would be too tight and at the time I did not want to go the modification route. They are great looking, my wife really likes the looks and that was important to her. The winterport does not have the largest firebox, hence try for the 450 if you can. The jotul site has an adobe acrobat file with each model showing opening size requirements and clearances.

Do any of you have any word on the hearthstone Morgan. It's the smaller version of the Clydesdale. I've read good things about the Clydesdale, but that's too large for me and I don't see many reviews of the Morgan. I like the way it looks (at least the photos I've seen) and I like the idea of the soapstone retaining heat. Any thoughts?

I am sure it is good. the clydesdale always gets good reviews. As for the brand, I think it is one of the higher end ones if price has anything to do with it. A local dealer sells their stoves and they are at least $3400. one thing I like about many of their stoves is the option to vent out of the rear instead of top. Not sure but i think there is a lot of talk/debate over soapstone vs cast iron. except for some of the seriously economy brands, most of the brands out there are pretty good--- usually it comes down to narrowing it down to what fits, followed by what you want to spend...if your heating bill is a concern then price is less of a concern since you will make that back if you plan on heating with the insert and not using it for viewing a fire. Just be patient and get what you really want one time. this is the right place to come. also look at the pics section/install pics for ideas. in the meantime, start building your stash of wood.

I think you could fit a Lopi Answer in your application...ran into the same issue as my fireplace tapers to the rear and I think it was only about 14-15" in the very back. Its a good little stove and heats the house nicely, but I would try to get something with a bigger firebox if you can

Thanks everyone.

You now all have me thinking about firebox size. This is a good thing, since I didn't really understand this before. I see that a lot of people on this forum are saying that for an overnight burn, you need at least a 2.0 cu. ft. firebox. I just compared the Lopi answer (1.6) the Hearthstone Morgan (1.7) and the Regency i1200 (1.4). While I'm not really sure what the difference of .1 is in a firebox (Morgan vs. Lopi), I do feel like I should steer away from the Regency as the firebox is so small. Any thoughts? Are there any stoves that will fit my fireplace with a 2.0 cu. ft. firebox? Again, my opening is 30"x30" at the top, but only 15" deep, and my width tapers back to just 19.5" at the back. Between the shallow depth and small width at the back, I really can't find many options.

Thanks!

Kenny,

My insert (jotul 350) is a flush face to the masonry. I know some of the inserts have the front 1/3 or so of the firebox that protrudes out into the room/hearth. I am not sure of the exact models, (I think Quadrafire has that characteristic) and do not know if they would be more accomodating with the measurements at the back of your fireplace. Just a thought to look for those models as they may give you more box size because they come out into the room and don't have to gain all of their box size physically inside of your fireplace. Remember it would probably also alter clearances.

When I was shopping I found a few models that I thought would work and then used the search function on this site to dig up old threads on the particular insert. In addition to feedback on the posts, that was very valuable to me. It's fun going through it all and exciting making that choice...

KennyK said:
Thanks everyone.

You now all have me thinking about firebox size. This is a good thing, since I didn't really understand this before. I see that a lot of people on this forum are saying that for an overnight burn, you need at least a 2.0 cu. ft. firebox. I just compared the Lopi answer (1.6) the Hearthstone Morgan (1.7) and the Regency i1200 (1.4). While I'm not really sure what the difference of .1 is in a firebox (Morgan vs. Lopi), I do feel like I should steer away from the Regency as the firebox is so small. Any thoughts? Are there any stoves that will fit my fireplace with a 2.0 cu. ft. firebox? Again, my opening is 30"x30" at the top, but only 15" deep, and my width tapers back to just 19.5" at the back. Between the shallow depth and small width at the back, I really can't find many options.

Thanks!

The C450 will do this with a 2.0+ cu ft firebox. But we need to know the width of the fireplace 13" from the front.

Also, you have more options. If you only need another inch of depth, the insert can be brought forward on the hearth that inch, and the surround can get a 1" filler behind it. Or, you could put a bigger insert in, install a damper block-off plate, and skip the surround. Or you could install a 2 cu ft freestanding stove with a rear-exit flue in that area.

BeGreen said:
KennyK said:
Thanks everyone.

Thanks!

The C450 will do this with a 2.0+ cu ft firebox. But we need to know the width of the fireplace 13" from the front.

Also, you have more options. If you only need another inch of depth, the insert can be brought forward on the hearth that inch, and the surround can get a 1" filler behind it. Or, you could put a bigger insert in, install a damper block-off plate, and skip the surround. Or you could install a 2 cu ft freestanding stove with a rear-exit flue in that area.

13 inches from the back from the front opening of my fireplace is approximately 21" wide. Also, my hearth extends 18-1/2 from the opening of the fireplace - if I could pull a stove out a bit to make a larger one fit, that would be great. If I don't have to get a hearth extension, even better!

Again, thanks for the help!

Yes, I just did a scaled drawing of the fireplace and got the same measurement.

BeGreen said:
Yes, I just did a scaled drawing of the fireplace and got the same measurement.

Wow BeGreen! Taking the time to do a drawing to help me figure this out, now that's serious help!!! Thanks! So, now that we're clearer on the measurements, any further thoughts? Based on some feedback I've been getting here, I called the dealer that I'm working with and said that I would like to find an insert that would fit with a 2.0 cu. ft. firebox. He was pretty busy and said he'd look at it on Monday. I'd love to have some of the expert input from all of you here when I talk with him.

Thanks!

Are you trying to heat the entire 2000sqft? Unless your house is super insulated, nothing with a 2.0cuft firebox is going to get it done in Boston. You are at the upper reaches of what a medium firebox can support, plus you're prone to very harsh winters. My recommendation is a hearth mounted Oslo or a medium-largeish freestanding sitting partially in the fireplace. 2.5-3.0cuft would be the number I'd be looking for.

This is if you are trying to heat primarily with wood. If supplemental, then disregard.

kingquad said:
Are you trying to heat the entire 2000sqft? Unless your house is super insulated, nothing with a 2.0cuft firebox is going to get it done in Boston. You are at the upper reaches of what a medium firebox can support, plus you're prone to very harsh winters. My recommendation is a hearth mounted Oslo or a medium-largeish freestanding sitting partially in the fireplace. 2.5-3.0cuft would be the number I'd be looking for.

This is if you are trying to heat primarily with wood. If supplemental, then disregard.

I'm looking more to supplement my existing heat, perhaps heat my whole first floor (approx. 750 sq. ft.) and get a bit of heat to the second floor. As I have a fireplace already and the room where it is isn't too large, I've been mostly just considering inserts. Perhaps I could be swayed towards a wood stove, but I'd be the happiest if I could find the right insert. Still looking for the one given my measurements.

I've been checking inserts now that I have a layout of your firebox on the computer. Most inserts will either be small or will need to have a very prominent front, which will probably require a hearth extension.

Can you post a picture of the fireplace? It sounds like it is tailor made for a nice hearth stove. I'm thinking a Woodstock Keystone or Hearthstone Shelburne for starters.

Status
Not open for further replies.