1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Which wood???

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by neumsky, Dec 9, 2012.

1. neumsky

neumsky Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oklahoma City
    Ok...If you had the choice...which one would YOU buy? Oak...Pecan...or whatever??? I want long burn times!!! Thanx...

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ddddddden

ddddddden Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Va
    Oak, if it's dry, but oak never is. Hickory maybe? People report very good results with locust, osage, black birch. . .I think it's going to depend on what's available in your area.

http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm

3. Hickorynut

Hickorynut Burning Hunk

Loc:
    western ky.
    Don't know what available in Oklahoma. Black locust, hedge, oak, hickory/pecan are all good for long burn times.
  4. brian89gp

brian89gp Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Kansas City
    Osage orange. Should be a decent amount in your area and it is very easy to ID and also to see how long it has been split (bright yellow/orange until exposed to air for at least a year, then it turns a dark orange'ish brown).

The stuff burns long and hot, just usually need another species of wood to get the stove going as osage orange is somewhat hard to light on fire by itself.
  5. neumsky

neumsky Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oklahoma City
  6. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    Do you have time for the Oak to dry? Most say two years at least, three is better. Most other wood will be good to go if split and stacked after one full year outside. Hopefully in a place with good air flow. Some wind and some sun. What type of woods are prevalent in your area?
  7. JOHN BOY

JOHN BOY Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western Mountains ,NC
    Long burn times are not always achieved with just burning hardwoods. Try using some rather large splits of Soft maple and pine like 8 inch diameter splits or rounds i have an old grandma bear fisher with a baffle in it and can get up to 7 hour burn times with a mix of different sized splits. Yes hardwoods tend to burn longer , but so do larger rounds of completely seasoned soft woods ,works for me. The trick is allso to really no your woodstove and how to reach these longer burn times thru trial and era. ;)
  8. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Hickory is my favorite. High BTU, multiple uses. ;)
    Thistle likes this.
  9. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Certainly nothing wrong with oak if you have the time to dry it. Pecan should also be very good. If that is what is in your area, you are blessed.
  10. ddddddden

ddddddden Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Va
    Just post good pics before you buy, and the wood nuts, er, I mean enthusiasts will ID it for you in about 10 seconds. ;)

Or to keep it simple, you could set up a transaction for a particular species and then learn to ID it by looking at a few threads, so you can confirm.

Osage orange/hedge sounds like a good bet for your region.

http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/load-of-hedge-osage.77738/

http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/osage-orange.77460/

For general knowledge, read "Wood ID" threads.