1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

which wood?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by jqgs214, Sep 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jqgs214

jqgs214 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Riverhead, NY
    Locust or Red Oak? have the option to buy acord of locust @ 200.00/cord seasoned 1 year, is it a better burning wood than red oak? Oak is all I have burned so far. (yes I know I'm spoiled)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Get some of each! Actually, take a maul with you and split a few splits of each in half. Check the moisture inside with a meter or by holding the fresh cut up to your cheek. Take the driest wood.
  3. branchburner

branchburner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    Good price! Like BG says, take the driest. It'll probably be the locust, which is on par with oak (but dries quicker). Both very dense, high BTU per cord. You'll still be spoiled. In fact, you might not want to go back to oak!
  4. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    I agree with the locust pick. It starts out drier than oak. Has at least as high BTU's. Does have a smell outside when burning. Some say you can burn it green. Starts with 35% MC.
  5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    You shouldn't go wrong with either one. The oak will take a bit longer to dry but it sure does hold a fire a long time.
  6. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Maybe you could use witch wood to determine which is dryer, like witching for a well.
  7. Dune

Dune Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Commonwealth Of Massachussetts
    The locust is actualy better than the red oak, because it doesn't rot. Red oak rots easy.
  8. coolidge

coolidge Member

Loc:
    Maine
    I burned some locust last year that was at least five years old( thats how long i,ve owned the place) it was the best wood i have ever burned, i do have twenty to thirty of them still around and coming down for firewood. Everyone told me it wasnt very good for burning but i like it better than oak.
  9. Duetech

Duetech Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S/W MI
    This link http://chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm says red oak is a little lower in btu's per cord (4.8 million) than black locust. I have burned both and I think the locust coals a little better. From what I have seen of NY firewood prices I suggest you buy a few years of both if the cash is available. Kept dry they will store a long time and prove their worth.
  10. Tony H

Tony H New Member

Loc:
    N Illinois
    Not good for burning ! Those people should not be listened to Locust is a fine wood for burning right up there with oak ,Hickory, birch apple and ash . Stack the oak loosely to keep it from rotting from the high moisture and it will last for years.
    Back to the original post I would take the locust because it dries quicker but if you can make a deal both would be great.
  11. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    That's an excellent price so close to the Big city...I'd get all I could afford at that price. If I had the room to stack it I'd even go to the bank for a loan.
  12. Duetech

Duetech Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S/W MI
    If you want to keep the locust coming prune off branches in the early spring that are about 2' long and stick them at least a foot into the ground. (A stake from an old horseshoe game makes a good hole for this). The prunings should sprout and become trees. A guy in my area logs his land and black locust for fence posts every 8-10 years. Some cut trees resprout on their own and others he plants to keep the rotation going. But then he has the land to do that.
  13. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Buy a cord of the Locust to 1.) See how you like burning it. 2.) Stack it and see what that guys calls a cord of wood. 3.) See what he calls seasoned wood.
  14. jqgs214

jqgs214 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Riverhead, NY
    Thanks for the replies, I have bought wood from him before, he invited me to inspect the locust which I will do today, he is right on with his cord amounts but the red oak I have gotten from him is useable but not ideal, its good to hear the locust dries faster, if it looks good I'll take it. Also, believe it or not we are not that close to the "Big City" we are in the middle of wine country baby!
  15. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    sorry I was thinking you were in long island.
  16. Redburn

Redburn Member

Loc:
    Southern Ct
    my neighbor cut down some dead standing locust a couple years ago I and I got the wood good stuff I gave some to a friend who was impressed also and saw the difference and as for oak well come on that's a no brainer as long as you season it u can't go wrong . Its my favorite ...... Where I live there's allot of oak..
  17. harry hebberd

harry hebberd New Member

Loc:
    long island
    he is on long island but about an hour and a half east from the city.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.