Which Woodstove to buy??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey350D

Sep 26, 2008
Everett WA
Newbie question:
What type of wood stove should I buy: 35-1 or EPA certified??
(Small house, 950sq ft with 1950's Schrader wood stove.)

Looking to get more heat recovery as wood is getting harder to find.

thanks

EPA all the way! More heat with less wood. It will pay for itself.

EPA for sure in WA state. I'm surprised you can buy a 35-1 here. With an EPA stove you won't be excluded with every stage 1 burn ban. I'm surprised to hear that wood is getting hard to find in Everett Too many stove owners there already?

Washington State doesn't allow the 35-1 exemption. Everything bought, sold, or installed must be tested and listed to Washington's emission standards: 2.5 grams/hr for catalytic stoves, 4.5 grams/hr for non-cats. This even includes solid fuel burners that are exempted by the EPA and allowed to be installed in other states, like furnaces and manufactured fireplaces. Still allowed are site-built masonry fireplaces, although these are rumored to be on the chopping block in the near future. Interestingly, the State Air Quality people have decided to take a "permissive" stance regarding masonry heaters (like the tulikivi), wood cookstoves and "decorative" antiques not intended for heating.

BeGreen said:
. I'm surprised to hear that wood is getting hard to find in Everett Too many stove owners there already?

Probably a similiar situation as here where logging is sporadic. Firewood sellers used to run ads on a continuous basis,now they place an ad in the paper and then are usually busy filling orders for weeks--and search as ye may, but no wood offered for sale.It has become more important now than ever before to keep at least a minimum 2 year supply on hand at all times.

Even in areas that may not have an outright ban on burning non-EPA compliant stoves, I would recommend that a buyer only look at EPA stoves. It's only a matter of time before the EPA ban on using non-compliant stoves is nationwide. (They're about to implement new standards on allowable emissions for gas-powered lawn mowers. The regulatory march to limit emissions of any/all kind will simply quicken with time. Yep, I expect to see gas-powered chainsaws and splitters covered at some point, too)

Status
Not open for further replies.