which would you buy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
Lowes on black friday has a 10" table saw and a 10" miter saw. Either for $60. Which one would you buy or not buy...

Do you have part numbers? Lowes sells a lot of crap that they call power tools. I'd be wary about anything for $60.

Matt

Skil 10" Compound Miter Saw --- Item #: 141222 | Model #: 3315-03
Overall Rating:

Tradesman 10" Table Saw with Leg Set
Item #: 148825 | Model #: BT2500W2

So do you need a hammer or a drill? They are different tools to accomplish different tasks. Of the two, I value the compaound miter saw more. Takes less room as well. Sometimes you just need a table saw though.

Both. :)

Tools are 'guy things', right? Not necessarily - I will use the miter saw but I don't like using a table saw. Actually, around here, we use the miter saw more often. Come to think of it we bought our sons miter saws for Christmas a couple of years ago - so they would stop borrowing ours. Neither of them has a table saw.

Shari

Table saw is great for ripping plywood and boards down to make them narrower. Miter saw great for cross cuts like cutting mouldings,trim and door casings. Miter saw can do compound cuts for crown moulding. A table saw can do cross cuts using the sliding t-square handle.

Like mentioned in above post, each has it own use. There are cuts a table saw can do that a miter saw can't and vice versa. Try to determine what your particular need is and go from there.

Honestly, that tablesaw is junk. I had one and gave it away when I moved from TX. It is loud, lacks power and the plastic and thin aluminum top will twist and vibrate across the floor. (Which destroys accuracy in a cut.) I'd save my money and buy an older one from Craigslist. Look for a cast iron top. The one you are looking at won't rip a 2x4 in half, even if you try to make multiple passes with the blade raised a bit each time. It ends up overheating the motor and tripping the breaker on it.

I think the miter saw looks light duty also, but you could get by with it. And I haven't used it so I can't give a glowing report like I could with the saw.

Matt

BTW, when I bought the saw I paid $100 for it at Sears. This was back in 2000. I was young and had nobody to tell me better.

I made similar mistakes at the $100 price point with a miter saw and router. And I was slow with lawn sprinklers also.

Matt

... determine your needs, what you really need the saw to do, then buy quality for a saw that is precise, repeatable, easily adjustable, stays adjusted, and will last. If you're not sure on your needs, browse a book on using a table saw and a book on using a power miter saw. That will help define what you need or want. I have a Jet 10" table saw, plus a Delta 12" radial arm saw mounted on a work bench that will cut 16' lumber in both directions, plus a 12" Delta miter saw that also fits into the bench and of course can be moved to a work site. Each was a lot more than $60 and each is so sweet.

I like the way you think, Shari. The good man knows that I'm big on tools, and will rarely put the kibosh on a desired purchase. But as has been pointed out by others, buy a good one and take care of it! I hate to see nice tools badly treated, it's just wrong.

I work with tools every day (sewing machines, cutting and pressing equipment, staplers, etc.) and I can attest to the long term value in quality equipment. I rarely buy "cheap", but will sometimes when funds are short or I'm "trying something new".

Status
Not open for further replies.