which would you choose for overniters?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brooktrout

Dec 23, 2007
Hamden, NY
Well, I am in the middle of splitting wood for next season. I've got ash, sugar maple and cherry. I'm sizing my splits accordingly. Which would you choose for overniters (i.e. BIG splits)?

Well depends: you want a prettry face or? ;-P

Good morning brooktrout, I was always a believer in bigger is better when it came to holding a long fire.

Trouble is when we recently got a QF4300 I couldn't fully load it to capacity without bouncing a split off the top of the secondary burn tubes.

The guy that sold the stove recommended smaller splits with the box loaded to capacity allows you to carefully reduce the primary air for a longer efficient burn.

I know a good mix is the best thing to do but I've always used large splits and that's what stock I had to use when we switched over to the new stove...but I often found myself outside re-splitting my splits again just to accommodate the new stove.

Now we produce few more smaller splits to top off the larger splits on the bottom...that should work for you too.

Trouble is when we recently got a QF4300 I couldn't fully load it to capacity without bouncing a split off the top of the secondary burn tubes.

This is why I always say...top loaders rule. You cram it full until you can just close the lid. Nothing to bump into or work around...just fill it full.

As to your original question the maple would be your best bet from the wood listed. Not just any old maple though. It's gotta be hard maple.

sugar maple for sure, which BTW is the only hard maple. I would split them the largest, put them on the bottom and then stack med ones on that and then stuff smaller ash or whatever in the spaces

Adirondackwoodburner said:
sugar maple for sure, which BTW is the only hard maple. I would split them the largest, put them on the bottom and then stack med ones on that and then stuff smaller ash or whatever in the spaces
I like your idea, however, my stove is a bottom draft. So, should I reverse the order?

well, do a couple of test runs and see what the deal is. It does make sence though

Status
Not open for further replies.