whick is the best wood pellet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

halv

Apr 4, 2008
Central MA
I am new with my pellet stove. I have a few types of pellets in mind . Lignetics, energex, ne green supreme and granules L and G. Does anyone have any input into which pellets would be best?

I recommend that you try several bags of each brand for yourself, before you buy in quantity. Each stove burns each brand differently, and the only way to be sure which brand works best in your stove is to try them.

I burnt a bag of Energex, Premier & private label Tractor Supply . All burnt the same but i like the distant scent that TS gave out the exhaust. No big deal but my stove is only a week old so maybe it can handle most pellet brands , i dunno . Hope this helps ya. Just stay connected to this site on a regular basis & you'll get all kinds of great advice from experienced pellet burners . Good luck, Muss

That is a very good question and one that might easily be dismissed as varying depending on the person's preference. However, I can say that there is too much variety in pellets. I get very different results in two ways. 1) The brand I am using despite the fact that they report the same amount of ash, fines, etc. on the bag and have the PFI seal of approval. 2) The same manufacturer, but different season.
Why the difference? After all, it is all sawdust dried and compressed. Does the quality control vary that much?

i used to think pellets were pellets too. how different could they be? alot. and it depends on the make of your stove too. one pretty good guideline is to stick with the the pellets that have the pellet fuels institute logo on them. i got a really good deal on some "natures heat" pellets and i am having some issues with them..they are on my never buy again list.

Status
Not open for further replies.