Whiffs of smoke?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coldout

Oct 15, 2013
Wyoming
Hi all,

New EF2 Owner here. I'm on my eighth bag. Trying to get the fire dialed in. I'm running on 12 o'clock-medium (getting down to -4).

This stove is pretty hard to figure sometimes. Anywhere from low to medium, I have to run the damper basically all the way closed. If I don't the fire/pellets burns down to almost nothing, then flares up when the pellets feed in. My concern is that though the flame looks good, sometimes I see little whiffs of smoke leaving the flame when the flame is really tall and reaching the top of the firebox. They don't look lazy, but a little less energetic at that height.

My goal is to keep a consistent flame, as much as possible by controlling the damper. This damper setting seems to be a good compromise to keep the flame healthy and consistent looking. But are these intermediate little trailings of smoke bad?

It's 6 degrees outside right now, and holding 73 degrees in the stove room, on medium which I think is pretty good. It's heading for -20 in the next day or so and I have no intention of turning on the furnace! :)

Thanks!

I should probably mention that I have a 12" 1 1/2" OAK, and 8' of 4" vertical rise with only 1 T. Using Marth "Super" Premium Pine Pellet, which I picked over the other brands because is smelled like fresh cut timber and seemed to burn marginally hotter.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! Are you able to adjust the amount of pellets being dropped (a feedgate)?

Status
Not open for further replies.