Whifield 2T new exhaust blower problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pellet-King

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2008
Northern Ct
Bought off Ebay a brand new Fasco Exhaust blower motor for my Advantge 2 T, installed it last night, now i notice the pellets do not jump out of the pot and the flame seems lazy, adjusting the damper has not alot effect past 1" out, i pulled the stove out of the fireplace and the motor is spinning and is plugged in correctly, is it possibly wired incorrectly causing it to blow inwards?, there is no smell and i've been running the stove all night.

I don't think plugging it in wrong will do that. Are the RPM's of the replacement same as original? Could have something in the venting, or in the channels resticting air flow.

just cleaned stove few weeks ago, had smoke smell problems after figured motor is getting tired, i smell no smoke now, i feel thqt the exhaust blower has no effect on burnpot damper

Pellet-King said:
just cleaned stove few weeks ago, had smoke smell problems after figured motor is getting tired, i smell no smoke now, i feel thqt the exhaust blower has no effect on burnpot damper

Remove the trivet tray and wap that area with a rubber mallet and watch the ash fall. Mine worked great after I figured that one out. YMMV They seem to eventually block above the heat exchanger. If this works just keep wapping until all the ash falls. You will find this will take some time but it is simple to test.

Pellet-King said:
Bought off Ebay a brand new Fasco Exhaust blower motor for my Advantge 2 T, ........
As Delta mentions above, is the replacement motor an EXACT replacement? Same model # motor, rpm's, amp draw, etc?

Could be an air leak somewhere...

All i know is it worked fine until installed new blower, cleaned out inside stove which i do weekly, thats it!!!!, only has burned 4 bags of pellets since master cleaning 3 weeks ago

*UPDATE*
took off new motor, with stove on and no pellets burning or dropping noticed new blower compared to old one spins alot slower, less wind blowing, i noticed other day after i installed it and tested ran it before i pushed it back in fireplace, there is a cooling fan on the outside if you hold your hand near were blower mounts you'll feel a good breeze, this one did not, other thing only i see different about the specs is new blower is rated for .6amp, mine is .9amp, other wise rpm (3000) is the same

Pellet-King said:
All i know is it worked fine until installed new blower, cleaned out inside stove which i do weekly, thats it!!!!, only has burned 4 bags of pellets since master cleaning 3 weeks ago

*UPDATE*
took off new motor, with stove on and no pellets burning or dropping noticed new blower compared to old one spins alot slower, less wind blowing, i noticed other day after i installed it and tested ran it before i pushed it back in fireplace, there is a cooling fan on the outside if you hold your hand near were blower mounts you'll feel a good breeze, this one did not, other thing only i see different about the specs is new blower is rated for .6amp, mine is .9amp, other wise rpm (3000) is the same

is the Blower impeller the same size and pitch?
also when you did your cleaning did you remove the firebrick and the Baffle behind the firebrick?

http://www.hearthtools.com/parts/adavantageII_clean.htm

hearthtools said:
Pellet-King said:

*UPDATE*

is the Blower impeller the same size and pitch?
also when you did your cleaning did you remove the firebrick and the Baffle behind the firebrick?

http://www.hearthtools.com/parts/adavantageII_clean.htm

Of course i removed the firebrick and cleaned behind it all earlier and again last night, i plugged the motors in while the stove was pulled out and there in my hand turning, huge difference in speed and airflow, the ebay person is not responding to my emails past few days, weird as his rating is excellent.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140355680005&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Did you try bumping up the voltage to the new fan. I believe that is the middle access hole on the bottom. Use a plastic screw driver. These old pots are always problematic.

greenlaser said:
Did you try bumping up the voltage to the new fan. I believe that is the middle access hole on the bottom. Use a plastic screw driver. These old pots are always problematic.

Didnt think of that, are they calibrated for each fan from the factory?, it appears that it barely wants to spin up when plugged in, actually had to give it a spin to get it going in a horizontal position.

Seems to me i shouildnt have too, as it spins about half the speed as the old fan and how would i know what the correct speed will be?, can i hook up a tack anywere?

Pellet-King said:
......the ebay person is not responding to my emails past few days, weird as his rating is excellent......

Have you tried calling him, as he suggests in his auction? 530-409-5051

EDIT:

have you hooked it direct to 115v ac with a jumper (old lamp cord w/ plug), so you know you have full voltage?

Also, your reference to a "tack"...did you mean a tachometer?

What is the voltage on the new motor, or the old for that matter. You do have a voltage meter?

Should be around 74 volts for your stove.

I too am starting to think you have the wrong motor. Amperage rating seems too low.

To be honest you don't need any special instruments to know if it is burning properly. You use your eyes. I used to tweak my exhaust flue motor all the time on the old advantage. When it would not go any higher it was time to clean it. The newer motor might need higher voltage. Mine is out in the shop at the moment. Got a new Englander (the cheap one) that is working very well.

The new fan appears"tight" compared to old one, greenlaser i have a combustion fan trim control which would increase voltage on the very top of my panel above the heat output settings, a pocket screwdriver adjusts it, there are 4 plugged test ports at the bottom, which read as follows, common = ground then one for combustion fan , auger, and convestion fan, they must be used to test voltage out to each respective motor, anyone know if that is correct?

New fan says this on sticker 115v .6amp, 60hz, 3000 rpm also is 1/70hp, part number is 702111383

Your stove is different from mine. As mentioned earlier cut off a small extension cord and use some wire nuts to hook your new fan into a wall plugin and see if it works properly. If it does you should maybe boost the voltage on your "combustion fan trim control". If it don't return to seller. Don't be afraid of it. If you can read your flame you will do fine. Specs are there for bragging rights. You just want it to burn clean. Adjusting it might take a bag of pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.