Whistle from pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithH

Nov 4, 2013
Oxford mass
hey guys, I own a quadrafire Castille pellet stove and have had it since 2013. Starting today it began making an annoying high pitched whistle as it blows out the hot air into the room. Admittedly I have been a little more lazy with clean up the past week but is that all that is going on or do you think there is a deeper issue, maintenance or otherwise?

The stove is 11 years old, I bought it off a cousin of mine in October of 2013.

I took the stove apart and cleaned the convection blower at the beginning of this season, and have cleaned the exhaust blowers this season as well, I have yet to burn a full ton of pellets, probably more like 3/4 ton.

I learn more about the pellet stove maintenance every year ... and run into new issues every year. Any help would be appreciated.

whistle or squeal? Try a little oil on the shaft by the bearings.

Some convection blowers can be salvaged by replacing the bearings on the fan. Some fans can be sourced through Graingers...

The bearings in these fans are sealed, and the cages are pressed on. Don't take to much to check and see if it is dirty already, and just needs a good cleaning. You can also jump the #1 snap disc wires to run just it, when stove is off, to see if there is a difference in sound. kap

Status
Not open for further replies.