White Ash--Day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cptoneleg

Minister of Fire
Jul 17, 2010
Virginia
SDC10520.JPGSDC10525.JPG SDC10521.JPG

Creek washes out around the roots of these Ash trees and they fall over ever so often. Got one load today 1/3 cord and stacked.

And knock on wood, they are still healty here in my part of the woods.

Awesome..! good to know ash tree's are still doing good

Nice! That last picture will be a nice supply. Sweet deal

Must be that ash trees don't like wet roots. The stream bed switched course behind us and dozens of them fell. Now the cussed EAB came through and took the rest of them. Nice haul- ash is good for any season, IMHO.

Very nice.So far Ashes around here are remaining healthy.Last report stated that EAB was detected in 2 NE IA counties & hadnt spread.1 of those counties,in the extreme NE corner has had quarantine in effect since being confirmed in May 2010.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
That is some excellent ash Cpt. Looks like the borer had not hit you yet. I hope it doesn't either.

lots of ash up here do to the eab. really is sad to see the destruction. the city is cutting them down like crazy i can get all the ash i want however i dont have anymore room lol

Nice score cptoneleg. The Ash are still doing well where I live. But the bugs are only 60 miles away. Not good. I will be burning Ash for a long time, either way.

our ash is starting to get all ate up- D shaped holes all over town. the city is trying to decide whether they can let people take the wood from a liability standpoint. Looks like I could have access to a very large supply of ash if they let us take it.

Very nice! This is my first year burning ash and man do I like it...seasons quickly and burns extremely well. Great work!

Nice work and wood.

Pretty wood. Looks nice all stacked up.
Big tree, how much you think is there total ?

I brought a little over a cord home and there is about 12' left that I can't handle by myself. Wore me out rolling it over to the splitter, if I can get someone to help I will get the rest.

I brought a little over a cord home and there is about 12' left that I can't handle by myself. Wore me out rolling it over to the splitter, if I can get someone to help I will get the rest.
You should be able to hand-split those big rounds where they lie with a sledge and a couple wedges, so that you can move 'em...Easy-splitting stuff, that White Ash. ==c

You should be able to hand-split those big rounds where they lie with a sledge and a couple wedges, so that you can move 'em...Easy-splitting stuff, that White Ash. ==c

+1 on Woody Stover's comment. Wait till you have the time and bang them open with a sledge and wedges. Save your back, you will need it for a long time.

ash is my new favorite burnt as few pieces over the last few day and it quite nice, and pleased to report the only ash we have standing dead or down is a result of the flood last year and no infestation

how long did you let the ash season ?

1 year, just like many other woods. There is a old times tale about it being OK to burn ash green. It's just a tale, it needs to dry just like all the other wood varieties.

Lots of ash here, thankfully no EAB detected in my county yet.

1 year, just like many other woods. There is a old times tale about it being OK to burn ash green. It's just a tale, it needs to dry just like all the other wood varieties.

Lots of ash here, thankfully no EAB detected in my county yet.

Dead ash tress still measure around 30 % moisture in the heart wood. I took two or three that were dead standing (with bark) for the three years I lived on this property and they measured 30%. Just agreeing with Pen

I probably cut a couple that were much lower in moisture over the last couple years. I was amazed at how dry they were and no doubt would turn punky soon if not cut and stacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.