White Ash Tree

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soadrocks

Nov 1, 2009
Rochester, NY
We're getting a white ash tree trimmed in the near future. The company who is doing the work claims that this wood does not need to be seasoned since it naturally has such a low moisture content. I'm just a rookie, but this can't be true, right? All wood needs to be seasoned for at least a year, right?

Please share.

It does have a low moisture content, but you will enjoy it much more if seasoned. Cut it and split it a.s.a.p. and you'll be happy come Fall/Winter, as Ash is excellent fuelwood. Many people do burn Ash green; some even cut it and split it and burn it immediately, but you're much better letting it dry out.

You might also want to check out the forum called "The Wood Shed", as it has more items like this there. Ah, I see that it has been magically moved there lol...

Ash starts with a mc around 30%. The nicely seasoned wood burns best @ 20-25%. You can burn @30% but its surely not ideal.

gzecc said:
Ash starts with a mc around 30%. The nicely seasoned wood burns best @ 20-25%. You can burn @30% but its surely not ideal.

+1 I burned some last year that was freshly cut just for shi** and giggles, and it did sizzle and bubble at the ends. But if it came down to it i'd burn it to stay warm

It should be fine by December if cut/split/stacked now.

Unless treated, the days are numbered for Ash...

In my first year of burning I burned some ash that had been cut over the summer . . . I had maybe 3-5 months of seasoning and I would get wood that would sizzle and bubble occasionally. This past year the wood that I had left over from that first year burned fantastically well.

My own take . . . yes . . . ash has less moisture content from the get go. Yes, in the older stoves you could burn unseasoned ash with few problems. Yes, even in the new stoves you can burn unseasoned ash with few problems . . . HOWEVER . . . if you give the ash a full year of seasoning you will be happier as the wood will ignite quicker and easier . . . you will get more heat from the wood . . . you will achieve better secondary combustion . . . and you will not have to worry about the unseasoned wood creating as much creosote (as you would burning the unseasoned ash.)

I just split some ash (don't know if it's white or green) apparently it was even half dead. I was disappointed to get >35% on my meter... Hopefully it will be dry as I'm still working to get 2 years ahead..

I think you'll be OK if you split, stack and let it dry in the sun and wind. I got some ash last fall and burned some of the smaller bits last winter. Some sizzled a bit, but eventually, it lit off. It certainly wasn't as bad as throwing in say a wet split of oak...which will practially kill the fire in the firebox.

Status
Not open for further replies.