White Ash????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooter422

Burning Hunk
Aug 24, 2014
Indiana
Just getting a double check on it. Pretty sure it is but want to ask the pro's.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 179
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 161
it looks like it to me.

Thanks. Saw a thread about poplar after I had cut all this and started to second guess myself.

Around here, tulip poplar has bark that is very similar to ash, but if you were to pick a round of it up, and were familiar with picking up a fresh round of ash, the difference would be very noticeable.

Looks like ash to me

Crack one open and you'll know for sure. Poplar has green streaks

Busted up a few today. Split like butter. No green in the middle. Rounds seemed lite to me. This is my first year getting firewood so still learning. Got a lot of good stuff this year. Hope I can get this lucky next year.

Another vote for Ash, love the Ash! I thought poplar had greenish heartwood? Still learning myself

Splits were very lite. But if 30% moisture I can see why. Tree was leaning against another and had no leaves. I thought it was ash so I got ever bit.

Ash can make you look like a superman cracking open huge rounds and even being able to move them around. But then you'll run into that one crazy knot and...:eek:

White Ash for sure. With the EAB almost here, we will have a steady diet of it for a while. Great wood to burn but losing 'em all is gonna be sad. :(
I got one like that in the spring. Discolored in the middle and in a low spot so is soaked up a lot of water (the kind that will dry quickly, I think.) I stacked it in a windy spot, some was 40%, wetter than fresh-cut! I'll test MC soon, and I bet it is pretty dry, maybe good to go. That thing had the hugest bark ever! _g
015.JPG 016.JPG 018.JPG

I'd say Ash for sure. You've got some great wood there.

Reactions: Scooter422
After splitting maple and all that twisted hedge apple the ash was by far the easiest. Going after a shagbark that's hung up today.

Hickory makes me REALLY appreciate the 31 ton MTD.

Hickory wasn't too bad last time I split it. It was pignut so not sure if all hickory splits the same. Guess ill find out today:)

Hickory wasn't too bad last time I split it. It was pignut so not sure if all hickory splits the same. Guess ill find out today:)
Pretty similar, and it's like any other wood; Straight sections split better than gnarly yard tree wood with lots of branches and twisty grain.

Well loaded down again. Now time to split it!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 112
Reactions: Woody Stover
Status
Not open for further replies.