WHITE BIRCH seasoning time.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiram Maxim

Minister of Fire
Nov 25, 2007
SE Michigan
So how long does it take WHITE BIRCH to season?

I have about 1 face cord of the stuff from an earlier storm and I was wondering if I should put in the "next year rack" or the late "This Years rack"?

The guy across the street says that all he burns is white birch at his cabin in Canada.

Thank you,Hiram

Me personally, I'd put that on the this year rack. Should be damn close to ready. If not quite, mix it in with other seasoned stuff.

Cut, split, and stacked outside it should be good for the upcoming season. It will dry quickly and deteroriate quickly too if left uncovered for a couple of years.

Carl said:
Cut, split, and stacked outside it should be good for the upcoming season. It will dry quickly and deteroriate quickly too if left uncovered for a couple of years.

I split and stack onto 8 ft wide X 7 ft high racks!

The racks are covered after September.

Thanks for the replies!!!!

Yeah I'd say most of my birch (black and yellow) seems relatively dry already compared with some woods. I'd try to set it aside for late this season as you've said.

Hiram, 3 months is about all it ever seems to take with white birch as long as it is split.

Backwoods Savage said:
Hiram, 3 months is about all it ever seems to take with white birch as long as it is split.

Thanks Dennis, Hope your having a great Michigan Summer!

Thanks Hiram. Yes, the summer is going fine so far. Could use some rain though. Most just goes around us.

Raspberries are tasting great as are the fresh peas. Can hardly wait for sweet corn....and so can the coons, but that's another story.

Hope all is well with you and you are now healed!

Dennis,

Well we must be getting all your rain down State?

I'm healing really well and have been slowly cutting, splitting and stacking big splits. Thanks for asking!

Hiram

We'll take some of that rain here in SE Kansas we started out wet this season and someone shut the faucet off!

hedgeburner said:
We'll take some of that rain here in SE Kansas we started out wet this season and someone shut the faucet off!

We are just making up for last year! We got about 2 1/2" last night.
My Dad is 72 and has lived in Metro Detroit his whole life and he said he could not recall a drought like we had in Summer 2007. It was dry!
Hope you guys get some rain your way soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.