White film on back of stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krista72

Oct 29, 2008
Lincoln, IL
I have a Ben Franklin cast iron stove. LOVE IT. However since this is my first stove I have some qustions.
I have a white film on the back of my stove, then the same inside on the baffle. What is this? Is this something I should be concern about?
What temp should I have my stove so the wood burns good? I do not believe my wood is well seasoned. For we cut the tree done in May of this year. And the temp do I go by what is going up my chimney or what is in the stove?

For example: last night the fire was over one thousand degrees for my digital temp gauge would not pick it up. But my pipe whas 420 degrees.

I love my stove we live in centeral Il. and have not used the furnance in a week. This stove keeps the two story house warm almost to warm at times. So any help I can get from you guys would be GREAT. For I want my stove but then I also want to make sure I am using it right.

Thank you
Krista

Just my two cents. One thousand degrees is too hot. You are probably damaging the paint from the temp of the cast iron. I wouldn't push that stove much past 700 or 800 degrees max. Another possibility you are on the way to getting the iron to glow red. Be careful.

When portions of a stove appear white, it is a surefire sign that an overfire condition has occured. Probably more than once. Please be careful with your stove and dont run that thing that hot. I dont run my cast stove any hight that 650, on occasion it has hit 700, but not on purpose.

Ok so then how to I know how to control the temp in my stove? With those therm. temp things you can put on your stove pipe. Should I get one of those and keep it at a certain degree so I do not over heat my stove.

Krista

Attachments

• buckstovefront.jpg
    buckstovefront.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 237
Yes, that looks like where it's getting the hottest. I don't know if you have a lot of control over this with this stove. It is not known for it's tightness. Just keep an eye on it. Definitely close down the flue damper when it gets this hot.

By the way, if you like this stove you would really love a modern EPA stove that consumes a lot less wood, burns much cleaner without this issue and gives you a beautiful fire view. Something to consider .

Did you ever find the piece or part that was missing for your stove. That may be contributing to the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.