white fungus

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clearblue16

Jan 14, 2009
Seattle
hello, i got a load of split wood from a friend....i live in seattle....he had it poorly covered with tarps for about 8 months....it is not rotten or punky but there is a lot of that white fuzz, which is a fungus or mold or something.....will that go away if i put it in proper storage and kept dry or does that stuff still live on? anybody have experience with this? thanks

People in the NW still somehow haven't figured out that moist dark places grow mold...but that's another story.

I have mold in various colors on my next-year's woodpile, from white, to black spots, to green fuzz, and even some little toadstools. When it warms up and (if) the sun comes out it will dry up, provided you don't seal it under a tarp. The key is air flow between rows, and only covering the very top of the rows, or not covered at all in July/August/Early September. Last year's wood got moved into the shed around mid September, and stayed mold-free even in the fall rains.

If you let this stuff air out the mold will die, but I wouldn't store it inside. It'll be fine when it dries out.

Status
Not open for further replies.