White Oak for Firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are lots of hardwoods in your area that will be ready, or at least a lot more ready than oak, by fall. Are your Ash dying yet? Ash seasons quickly. Black Cherry is common and fast drying. Soft maple (Red Maple) is another good choice. Black Birch is a common tree in the forest, Black Walnut surely grows nearby. These are also faster to season than oak, and the birch is nearly as high in density. Of course any evergreens like pine or spruce can be dried by fall. I'd also think about wrapping some firewood in clear plastic in the full sun. I have heard that can dry it quickly (see the comment of babaganoosh above)

I second the cherry. It will save your butt in a pinch.

There are lots of hardwoods in your area that will be ready, or at least a lot more ready than oak, by fall. Are your Ash dying yet? Ash seasons quickly. Black Cherry is common and fast drying. Soft maple (Red Maple) is another good choice. Black Birch is a common tree in the forest, Black Walnut surely grows nearby. These are also faster to season than oak, and the birch is nearly as high in density. Of course any evergreens like pine or spruce can be dried by fall. I'd also think about wrapping some firewood in clear plastic in the full sun. I have heard that can dry it quickly (see the comment of babaganoosh above)

I second the cherry. It will save your butt in a pinch.
Oh, and my wife officially thinks I'm crazy (well crazier) with my ever-expanding firewood stacks...

Send her to me. I will fix that ;)

I'm sitting on close to 3 cords of white oak that I dropped in healthy condition, split and stacked in summer of 2014 that still is looking green. I could burn it in a pinch if I had to but I'm waiting until 2016 heating season.

My red oak seasons fairly well in under 2 years. I've got some red oak that's dry in a single year with good placement in the yard for drying.

For some reason the white oak takes longer. Let it season another year. In the meantime if you have poplar that stuff is usually good to go in 6 months.

Welcome Max from a fellow PA burner. We in PA are blessed with lots of forests. In Pike county, on the hills along the Delaware river its almost all oak. IMO it's the best burning wood. Just get 3-4 years ahead ASAP. I lived through the first few years burning marginal oak, but it just got better every burning day. If you don't have a splitter, white oak will get you thinking about one, white is a bit stringy. Rock oak on the other hand splits like butter.

Status
Not open for further replies.