White Oak milling project Update 7/1/11

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I posted back in March about a tree that had fallen near my house on the side of a little traveled dirt road. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/53784/ .
maidenlaneoak.jpg

I finally got started on it this week. It was a pretty big White Oak. Just over 30" at the stump. I cut all the branches off on Monday and had my wife wife drag them down to the road with the F250. I cut them, quartered them with the Fiskars and hauled it home to be split and stacked. Yesterday, my friend came up with his Husky 3120 and we cut the trunk into three 12'-13' sections and dragged those down to the road. I didn't stop for pictures, because I was in a hurry to clear the road and be ready for my other friend who owns a small tree service to come with his knuckleboom truck to load and haul the logs to my house.
0615101322.jpg

We pushed them off the truck and onto the lawn.
0615101453.jpg

Here's and idea of the size of the biggest one.
0615101745.jpg

My friend should be here in an hour or so and we will get these milled with the 3120 and his Alaskan Mill setup. The plan is to make enough lumber to replace the bed on the old flatbed. Once we have enough for the truck at about 1 1/2" thick, we'll go a little thicker and mill the rest, either for future projects, or maybe to sell.
More later with pictures of the milling.

Flatbed nice work, whats the wood being used for after you mill it?

Zap

I'm going to redo the bed on my truck.
newflaps003800x600.jpg

The previous owner covered the original wood decking with steel plate about 40 years ago. After all that time being covered and wet, the wood is just turning to dust. I'll remove the steel plate and use the new lumber. I'm going to leave it rough sawn so I won't feel bad about using the truck. We are not sure what we'll do with the rest. The milling will also make a good amount of waste that will be the finishing touch for my '11-'12 firewood.

Nice logs. It would be nice to have one of those booms on your flatbed.

Nice work flat bed get some pic's of the milling....Should be a great prodject to watch not to metion a cool looking bed...

Yeah, yeah, yeah....more pics. I would really like to see some of the milling, and the stickering process for the dry down.

Jags said:
Yeah, yeah, yeah....more pics. I would really like to see some of the milling, and the stickering process for the dry down.

I cant seem to get any done, but I Got a 880 just setting in my truck box doing nothing! lol

smokinjay said:
Jags said:

I cant seem to get any done, but I Got a 880 just setting in my truck box doing nothing! lol

Oh - I see we are still sticking with the phantom 880 story - are we??? %-P

NO PICS - IT NEVER HAPPENED.

Jags said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:

Oh - I see we are still sticking with the phantom 880 story - are we??? %-P

NO PICS - IT NEVER HAPPENED.
MMAUL has seen it a couple times....Its just so pretty I dont want to get it dirty!

Flatbedford said:
I'm going to redo the bed on my truck.
newflaps003800x600.jpg

The previous owner covered the original wood decking with steel plate about 40 years ago. After all that time being covered and wet, the wood is just turning to dust. I'll remove the steel plate and use the new lumber. I'm going to leave it rough sawn so I won't feel bad about using the truck. We are not sure what we'll do with the rest. The milling will also make a good amount of waste that will be the finishing touch for my '11-'12 firewood.

I like those mud flaps and my flat bed needs a set. If you don't mind, where did you get them and about how much did they cost?

Looks like the mother load to me. Nice straight trunk. You're gonna have a ton of it, even after the truck bed and all the waste is accounted for. Damn, I'd be interested in some of those planks if the price was right, but you're 2 1/2 hours away. :-S

I am curious about the milling and how you get it squared off. Hope you post the pictures.

sure you wanna mill all that? looks like you could make yourself one heck of a dugout canoe.

GolfandWoodNut said:
I am curious about the milling and how you get it squared off. Hope you post the pictures.

Squaring off or edging can be done a couple ways the easy way is to use a mini mill first to square it. Then the aklakan just set on top the suared edge.

Ok. Here's my report on today's milling adventure.
We started by setting up a 2x12 on top of the log. We shimmed it to make sure it was as flat as possible and nailed it to the the log.
DSC06174.jpg

DSC06173.jpg

Setting up for the first cut.
DSC06175.jpg

The big Husky 3120 at work.
DSC06176.jpg

After the first cut.
DSC06178.jpg

As we got into the log, we realized that is was a little too wide for the mill. We rolled it 90°, made sure the cut surface was plumb, and set up the 2x12 on top, making sure it was level, assuring that we would make boards with a nice 90° edge that I could send through the table saw later.
DSC06179.jpg

Here's the first of 5 wheelbarrow loads of sawdust.
DSC06181.jpg

Time to refuel and top off the bar and chain oil. We burned almost 2 gallons of fuel for 7 10' rips.
DSC06182.jpg

Making the cut at a right angle to the first.
DSC06183.jpg

We didn't get through all of it. Even though the tree fell back in February, it was still very much alive. The heart wood was still so damp that the chain kept on getting loaded up with resin or sap that it just wouldn't cut. We started with a 10° semi chisel ripping chain. It was cutting so poorly after two rips that we tried a standard 30° full chisel skip chain to see if it would get less fouled because the sawdust might clear faster. After a couple passes it was as slow as the first chain. Even after a sharpening. the chain would still get all crapped up. As the chain got more crapped up, the quality of the cut dropped off too. The last cut was getting to be more of a tare than a cut.
After a few hours of this, we decided that the best thing to do was to stop for now and let the logs dry a little. Being Oak, I don't know how long that will take. The problem is that now I have one mostly milled 10' long log and another 13' log on my front yard. I was able to roll the third onto the driveway where I usually keep my to-be-split firewood. I think that I can roll the uncut one to the driveway too with the help of wire rope, snatch blocks and two trucks, but the milled one isn't going to roll very well now that it is squared on two sides. It may be a good place to put potted plants for a while. Its' gonna be hard to resist making the two uncut logs into firewood.
I hope this is a decent introduction to chainsaw milling.
Maybe if my friend had a Stihl this would have gone better. %-P

Flatbed, Nice idea, too bad its so difficult. Its amazing how small that tree looks in the first picture laying down in the woods.

Cool pics flatbed...couldn't believe the amount of sawdust generated....you need to get one of those sawdust burners :)

Jay doesnt this make you want to get started? :)

MMaul said:

Yeah, Jay......

Thanks for the picks Flatbed. Do you guys go through the process of rotating the log based off of grain (quarter saw?? maybe??). I just remember the old timers rolling and flipping and whatnot.

Jags said:
MMaul said:

Yeah, Jay......

Thanks for the picks Flatbed. Do you guys go through the process of rotating the log based off of grain (quarter saw?? maybe??). I just remember the old timers rolling and flipping and whatnot.

LOL It really does but dont know if you ever had a kidney stone and its only a baby 2mm Holly Crap! (percocets and 880's dont mix well) says so right on the bottle...

smokinjay said:
Jags said:
MMaul said:

Yeah, Jay......

LOL It really does but dont know if you ever had a kidney stone and its only a baby 2mm Holly Crap! (percocets and 880's dont mix well) says so right on the bottle...

Stones :sick: :sick:
I never have, but I have witnessed it in others. That 880 will wait, just like a good dog.

Flatbedford said:
Ok. Here's my report on today's milling adventure.
We started by setting up a 2x12 on top of the log. We shimmed it to make sure it was as flat as possible and nailed it to the the log.
DSC06174.jpg

DSC06173.jpg

Setting up for the first cut.
DSC06175.jpg

The big Husky 3120 at work.
DSC06176.jpg

After the first cut.
DSC06178.jpg

As we got into the log, we realized that is was a little too wide for the mill. We rolled it 90°, made sure the cut surface was plumb, and set up the 2x12 on top, making sure it was level, assuring that we would make boards with a nice 90° edge that I could send through the table saw later.
DSC06179.jpg

Here's the first of 5 wheelbarrow loads of sawdust.
DSC06181.jpg

Time to refuel and top off the bar and chain oil. We burned almost 2 gallons of fuel for 7 10' rips.
DSC06182.jpg

Making the cut at a right angle to the first.
DSC06183.jpg

We didn't get through all of it. Even though the tree fell back in February, it was still very much alive. The heart wood was still so damp that the chain kept on getting loaded up with resin or sap that it just wouldn't cut. We started with a 10° semi chisel ripping chain. It was cutting so poorly after two rips that we tried a standard 30° full chisel skip chain to see if it would get less fouled because the sawdust might clear faster. After a couple passes it was as slow as the first chain. Even after a sharpening. the chain would still get all crapped up. As the chain got more crapped up, the quality of the cut dropped off too. The last cut was getting to be more of a tare than a cut.
After a few hours of this, we decided that the best thing to do was to stop for now and let the logs dry a little. Being Oak, I don't know how long that will take. The problem is that now I have one mostly milled 10' long log and another 13' log on my front yard. I was able to roll the third onto the driveway where I usually keep my to-be-split firewood. I think that I can roll the uncut one to the driveway too with the help of wire rope, snatch blocks and two trucks, but the milled one isn't going to roll very well now that it is squared on two sides. It may be a good place to put potted plants for a while. Its' gonna be hard to resist making the two uncut logs into firewood.
I hope this is a decent introduction to chainsaw milling.
Maybe if my friend had a Stihl this would have gone better. %-P

If you can jack one end up highier its easier to mill down hill!

smokinjay said:
If you can jack one end up highier its easier to mill down hill!

And the saw will run faster. %-P

MMaul said:

Oh and if your ready to run the 880 I will rock and roll Tuesday. (and 460 for the edge) Everything ready to go but my reaction time is very poor at best.

I am fine with Tues. I can be there after work, or I might be sick that day I can tell I am starting to come down with something.

Status
Not open for further replies.