White Oak Score!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
I just can't help myself, many cords waiting to be split and I'm out creating more of a mess. The farm I've been cutting some dead ash on before it got hot had a big white oak go down in the winds we had during the middle of the week. This thing has to be near 5' in diameter. Today was a little cooler but still too hot for me to be doing too much in it. We ended getting enough out of there so the fence could be put back up and turned on. I probably netted a cord +/- of the stuff. I really hate cutting on stuff like this that is all hung up but overall it went well. I may have gotten about a 1/4 of what is there, a big branch runs off into the woods a good 60' I'd guess along with a bunch of other 20" limbs. I'll save that for cooler weather when the foliage starts to come down. Copy of P7080123.JPGCopy of P7080126.JPG

Lookin Good.... Lots of good wood in that trunk ...

Nice Score... (was Hot today! !!)

Lookin Good.... Lots of good wood in that trunk ...

Nice Score... (was Hot today! !!)

Maybe a little but not enough to go through the trouble of knocking it down at this point. The ants got it pretty good, you can see where a branch once was I assume that is where the invasion started.

I'd be cautious cutting the base.
That close to a fence now, 50 years ago it may have had a barbed wire fence nailed to it :: chain killer::
Primo fire wood in the trailer ;)

Nice-looking load there... :cool:

nice lookin' load there -

f^&*%in' LOVE white oak. for my favorites its a toss up between white oak and hickory. (and locust and hop hornbeam)

The madness doesn't end, a lady I work with has a family member that works for a tree service in the office. She said I can come to the yard and pick through the pile if I want. I can't even begin to attempt that now I need to start splitting the mess I have around here first! ;lol

rdust, after that last storm, there is lots and lots and lots of trees and limbs down. It would fill the needs of hundreds of families. Good for you for getting that off the fence for them.

Did you have much damage in your area? We are finally with power now as it has been on for over 24 hours so I think I might be able to put the generator away now.

rdust, after that last storm, there is lots and lots and lots of trees and limbs down. It would fill the needs of hundreds of families. Good for you for getting that off the fence for them.

Did you have much damage in your area? We are finally with power now as it has been on for over 24 hours so I think I might be able to put the generator away now.

We made out ok, I lost the top off a small pine that is growing in the back, kinda bummed me out since it was looking like it was gonna be a nice tree. Some of the surrounding areas got beat up bad though.

I'm glad to hear the power is back on for you guys, I hate losing power.

That's a nice trailer load of prime btu's.

We made out ok, I lost the top off a small pine that is growing in the back, kinda bummed me out since it was looking like it was gonna be a nice tree. Some of the surrounding areas got beat up bad though.

I'm glad to hear the power is back on for you guys, I hate losing power.

Some of the crew are still working this afternoon but I think most have moved on to other areas now. Looks like out power is on to stay now. It better be because I put generator and cords away today.

Reactions: tfdchief
Status
Not open for further replies.