White oak seasoning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
I know that white oak is notorious for taking several years to dry. I recently scrounged some white oak and decided to cut into short and thin splits to speed seasoning. Probably 12 inches long and two inches thick. If in a reasonable location for drying any chance that this wood may be dried by burning season 2017? I am guessing it may get into high 20's for moisture content, but probably not much lower in 12 to 15 months time. What do you think?

You're certainly doing what you can to get it ready. I'd say sure if it's in a place where air can flow through it and it's off the ground.

At an average of 2 inches thick, I think you'll be fine to burn in '17. I agree with red oak, off the ground and decent air flow (sunlight is a big plus, I've found).

I think I could have made my user name "white oak" because I burn so much.
I've honestly found that red oak and its relatives (scarlet, black, pin) seem to take a while, too, and often "hiss" whereas white oak of the same seasoning seems much drier. Maybe I'm biased, given white oak's higher BTU/density.
This is ironic given white oak's tyloses (the same elements that make white oak great for cooperage) should slow its drying compared to those in the red oak group.

Regardless, stack that stuff well and burn it in 2017 and you won't regret its high energy content.

Sounds workable to this newbie.

Was this cut down fully alive? Most of my scrounge has been dead and almost
immediately burnable. Or, it was obviously dropped by the power company contracted
tree crew so it just went to the far end of the stack, and yes, I split my hards thin too.

(stuff can/ will change. this is our first full season on wood and this summer was the "massive
buildup and get ahead" season of building usable stock)

CheapAndEnjoyingAllTheseColorChoices

Sounds workable to this newbie.

Was this cut down fully alive? Most of my scrounge has been dead and almost
immediately burnable. Or, it was obviously dropped by the power company contracted
tree crew so it just went to the far end of the stack, and yes, I split my hards thin too.

(stuff can/ will change. this is our first full season on wood and this summer was the "massive
buildup and get ahead" season of building usable stock)

CheapAndEnjoyingAllTheseColorChoices

This wood was scrounged. It was a Live tree, among others of several different varieties that was taken down by power company. Owner of property has "free wood" sign and gave me the green light to chainsaw up what ever I needed. I have already made 2 pick up loads and plan to get back there within next couple weeks for more. I have a feeling it may still be there given that I have already taken the easy pickings. About half of what I took was pine, the rest made up of black birch, sassafras, white oak, a small bit of red oak and hickory. Felt like I was in free firewood heaven.

Thanks for the replies everyone. If I can think of it come fall of 17', I will update this post with what I get for mm readings.

Doubtful that it will be ready by 2017.... I have plenty of white and red oak and it normally takes 2 to 3 years for the moisture content to drop to burnable levels.

Cut up and split a 36" dbh white oak last fall that had been down for close to three years. Only an inch of punk, the rest was solid gold. I was amazed to see how much water it still had in it. I split it small, kept dry and in the wind. Very interested to see what the inside of a 3"X3" split reads this fall, even though it's not on the burn list until 18'.

Cut up and split a 36" dbh white oak last fall that had been down for close to three years. Only an inch of punk, the rest was solid gold. I was amazed to see how much water it still had in it. I split it small, kept dry and in the wind. Very interested to see what the inside of a 3"X3" split reads this fall, even though it's not on the burn list until 18'.

What is "dbh"?

I agree, great idea. Would have helped me when I first joined.

Diameter at Breast height Now translate what the heck that means-- don't know how I burned wood for 40 years without knowing that.

I just tested some two year white oak splits a few weeks ago. Have been split and stacked, under cover for two years, anywhere between 3 and 8 inch splits, 18-20" in length. The thickest splits at exact center were around 23% moisture. All in all, very well ready to burn.

Diameter at Breast height Now translate what the heck that means-- don't know how I burned wood for 40 years without knowing that.
It's the diameter (across the tree) at 4.5 feet above the ground. This is measured on the uphill side, for what it is worth.

Obviously, each person's breast height varies, but as foresters we strive to measure trees consistently. This measurement, at 4.5 feet above the ground, is used (often with a measure of height or number of merchantable logs (which are 16 ft. in the US)) to estimate the volume of merchantable timber/wood in the tree.

I can't say that it's important for burning wood, it's just a way to consistently measure the cross sectional area of the approximate bottom of the tree.

Last edited:
Reactions: CincyBurner
It's the diameter (across the tree) at 4.5 feet above the ground. This is measured on the uphill side, for what it is worth.

Obviously, each person's breast height varies, but as foresters we strive to measure trees consistently. This measurement, at 4.5 feet above the ground, is used (often with a measure of height or number of merchantable logs (which are 16 ft. in the US)) to estimate the volume of merchantable timber/wood in the tree.

I can't say that it's important for burning wood, it's just a way to consistently measure the cross sectional area of the approximate bottom of the tree.
10-4 Keep Warm

I think it will be dry enough to burn next season but it may be hard to control the burn with those small splits. :oops:

I think it will be dry enough to burn next season but it may be hard to control the burn with those small splits. :oops:

Right. Would definitely mix in more normal size splits with the small stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.