White Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lildex93

Jan 21, 2020
VA
White oak as got to be the most dense and troublesome wood to split. The red oak split with ease and stacked nicely. Then came the white oak. The trees have been down for about 6 months and seems very wet still. Would more time on the ground as rounds help with splitting or just suck it up and split?

And yes, it may be time for a little more counter weight.

8D228FB8-748B-4A18-9B93-277DADD53F80.jpeg 14279343-682D-4017-9739-EDA07FDAFFE8.jpeg 399F612B-F9B3-4016-900E-7E309ABA0425.jpeg

That photo was taken in the process moving from the trailer to the pallets until I had time to process. It stayed while on those pallets for 6 months ish. It’s all split and stacked on new pallets waiting for storage room now. Will most likely get burned in 2022.

Attachments

• 27FA089A-5FC7-4C46-904E-ADF974795EEC.jpeg
    27FA089A-5FC7-4C46-904E-ADF974795EEC.jpeg
    235.5 KB · Views: 187
Reactions: mcdougy
Nice setup, yes I found this out this year as well.....red oak no problem, white oak beat it a bunch of times before it splits.....look like your log had some serious twists and limbs which always make it a rougher go. Was the tree from the outside of the bush line. I've always been told wind blown trees on the bush edge or fence line are the worst to split up. Wood grain is twisted and can make it a bear to split?

White oak is probably the slowest seasoning wood there is but it makes some of the best firewood also. Coals up like a dream. Sometimes if you give it some time.....1-2 months..... before you split it will check on the ends and show you where it wants to split which will aid in splitting. As far as trees on field edges or yards yes they are harder to split. Increased sunlight aids in limb production which makes splitting a bear.

Nice setup, yes I found this out this year as well.....red oak no problem, white oak beat it a bunch of times before it splits.....look like your log had some serious twists and limbs which always make it a rougher go. Was the tree from the outside of the bush line. I've always been told wind blown trees on the bush edge or fence line are the worst to split up. Wood grain is twisted and can make it a bear to split?
These were transported in from a friend that was clearing a lot. Now that you mention the twisting it did seem that a lot of the rounds did want to split in more of a twist shape as if there were layers. Either way I’ll take the free wood and time outside.

I have been burning some 4 year seasoned white oak and love it! Mixed some with some black locust last night and that load held a solid 24 hours in the BK Princess..Priceless!

Tyloses - same things that make white oak perfect for barrel making is the reason it takes so long to dry.

I just started splitting white oak I cut a yr ago and man is it stringy. Won’t burn it for 2 more yrs most likely.