White Oaks - Ground Zero

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for sharing! thats great news!

Swamp White Oak seems like an obscure tree to plant. Perhaps they do well in urban areas because they handle compacted, oxygen starved soil well. Swamps have low oxygen soils and I guess soil in the city might be the same way. I haven't seen too many swamp white oak as shade trees. Nice to see at least some of the trees they are planting are native.

I've got 3 acres of wetlands. Almost all of it is white oak.

As much as I like white oak, I'm not too sure about the wisdom of planting all one kind of tree.
It does look nice if not a tiny bit unnatural.

I've never had much luck transplanting white oak.

I own some swamp and it's predominately maple and a little bit of pine/spruce, with a little bit of hemlock on a mound up out of the muck a bit.
Leaves are turning and dropping already this year.
It's usually mid-September or so that the swamp trees decide it is Fall.

billb3 said:
As much as I like white oak, I'm not too sure about the wisdom of planting all one kind of tree.
I agree. That's just asking for one blight or bug or something to wipe out ALL of the trees.

Status
Not open for further replies.