White or red?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gark

Minister of Fire
Jan 27, 2007
SW Michigan
The service that dropped this tree only said it was an oak. Sorry, no leaves to see because it was dropped 2 weeks ago before they formed. We have a 'discussion' whether it is a red oak or white oak. One helper says the colors look a little like red oak but the bark looks alot like white oak. Another says "It's a red oak". The heartwood on the ends is light grey-brown. I did look into the "links to tree ID sticky" but they all need leaf identification. It is my largest score ever at 5 or 6 cords. The bark on most upper limbs is very flakey and the flakes fall off when handling the rounds, if that's any help. I appreciate any help to ID this 113 year-old giant. Oh, and 'discussion' is not even close to the dialog here about this tree's species. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMAG0005a.jpg
    IMAG0005a.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 436
  • IMAG0006a.jpg
    IMAG0006a.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 417
  • IMAG0007a.jpg
    IMAG0007a.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 432
looks like white oak to me!

I'll second that Jay!

3rd. Dropped a dead 14" White Oak yesterday morning that looked just like that.

I have some red and white oak and you can easily tell the difference when they're side by side, the red has much more color than what you have there. How are you splitting your score? Do you have a splitter of you go with a Fiskars? Im asking because I scored 3 1/2 cords of red oak and waqs contemplating renting a splitter. I split about 1/3rd of a cord by hand today just to get a feel for it, the oak splits easy enough except for the huge rounds.

Bark kinda looks like hickery.

Looks like white oak to me too. Can't beat 5-6 cords of free oak, nice score!!!

woodsmaster said:

It does look very close to shag. Sure the op would not mind that.lol

weatherguy said:
I have some red and white oak and you can easily tell the difference when they're side by side, the red has much more color than what you have there. How are you splitting your score? Do you have a splitter of you go with a Fiskars? Im asking because I scored 3 1/2 cords of red oak and waqs contemplating renting a splitter. I split about 1/3rd of a cord by hand today just to get a feel for it, the oak splits easy enough except for the huge rounds.

That's clearly NOT the only alternative. Myself, I find that a 6 lb maul with appropriately "chubby cheeks" is the tool to get 'er done.
Nice, long handle, fewer $$ too. What's not to like? One of mine is 35 years old & nicely shiny.

Looks like the white oak I got last week.

Are you finding the white oak has less moisture than the red oak? This was the case for me, but dont know if its because it was "standing dying"

The red oak was down for 8 months and soaking wet, the white oak was split same day as cut and was much dryer. been bugging me.

I prefer red, especially with a meat dish.

Remmy122 said:
Looks like the white oak I got last week.

Are you finding the white oak has less moisture than the red oak? This was the case for me, but dont know if its because it was "standing dying"

The red oak was down for 8 months and soaking wet, the white oak was split same day as cut and was much dryer. been bugging me.

Around here anyway I've noticed through the years that White,,Bur,Post Oaks have less moisture than the various Red Oaks.Most White that I split is a bit (sometimes lots) tougher to split than the Reds also.Most Red or Black,unless its real big or gnarly I can split easily with 5lb double bit axe.Most White I need the big maul,even the medium sized knot free stuff.Red is straighter grained as a rule also. Definitely worth the extra effort though. :coolsmile:

woodsmaster said:

Many times it is easy for some to confuse white oak with hickory because white oak can be a bit shaggy but if you have them side by side you will not doubt. For sure, white oak is pictured above.

You have some fine wood there Gark. However, it might not be too good for burning next winter. I'd get some of those rounds split ASAP and if you need this wood sooner than a couple of years, I'd also split those splits that are in the picture a bit smaller to hasten drying. Stack them in the wind.

We plan to split mostly with a hydraulic machine borrowed from a neighbor. As always, a bunch of 10 to 14 inch rounds of straight grain (easy) rounds will be left to do with a maul for stress reduction. I plan to rent a larger saw to handle the main trunk which is 46 inch diameter at the cut base and 24 feet long.
My cutting partner commented that this wood is alot dryer than a big red oak we tackled which was so wet it almost sprayed ya while splitting that stuff. The water in that red oak pooled around the splitter wedge while it was pushing into the grain.
Having learned (the hard way) and from so many great posts on this site (the easy way), this score will be for the 2013/14 winter and beyond. Also have learned, from so many great posts on this site, to get 2 years ahead with C/S/S firewood just in case this kind of thing came along. Had to buy a couple of loads to get there, but it's worth it.. Thanks!

As you found out, red oak will always have more moisture than white oak. It also takes longer to dry out!

Up in northern NJ, fresh cut red oak smells like a combo of provolone and smelly @$$. If it didn't burn so good, I'd have it Fed Exed to people on my dislike list to make them gag.

richg said:
Up in northern NJ, fresh cut red oak smells like a combo of provolone and smelly @$$. If it didn't burn so good, I'd have it Fed Exed to people on my dislike list to make them gag.

LOL it is nasty,isnt it? I dont notice it so much in winter,but this time of year until a hard freeze its pretty rank.White & Bur Oak on the other hand,smells somewhat pleasant when sawing/shaping or splitting.A faint vanilla-like scent.Whether its dry or green.

Status
Not open for further replies.