White Pine, How long to season?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

glenng

Nov 9, 2006
I just cut and split a white pine. WOnder how long it will take to season. Until now I have only processed eastern hardwoods. But since this pine was next to my woodshed it was easier cut and split and stack than cut and haul away. Its in an open woodshed with a metal roof that gets a lot of wind and sun.

Winter pic of shed

woodshedsnow.jpg

Thanks Glenn

Nice shed Glenn. It might be ready for November if the splits aren't too large and your summer is not too wet. Try out a few fires with it to see. If not, it could be ready for next spring's burning.

Thanks for the compliment BeGreen, I graduated from tarps and piles to a real woodshed last summer . It holds 5 years worth. Best thing ever in my wood burning pursuit.

As far as the white pine goes I might use it for kindling or shoulder season wood. I have a lot of white oak , beech, locust etc , good stuff. But I think the WP might be nice to have around for cool days. And It might make a good fire starter since I dont have any decent kindling on hand.

Thanks Glenn

glenng said:
Thanks for the compliment BeGreen, I graduated from tarps and piles to a real woodshed last summer . It holds 5 years worth. Best thing ever in my wood burning pursuit.

As far as the white pine goes I might use it for kindling or shoulder season wood. I have a lot of white oak , beech, locust etc , good stuff. But I think the WP might be nice to have around for cool days. And It might make a good fire starter since I dont have any decent kindling on hand.

Thanks Glenn

Glenn,
I use WP, Spruce, Red Pine, and Poplar, from the property for shoulder season. The splits are kinda' like kindling, since they burn so easily (once they're dry).

Status
Not open for further replies.