White Pine opinion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy S.

Feeling the Heat
Oct 28, 2013
Southeastern, PA
I had significant damage to a stand of white pine in the ice storm. I have a bunch of 4-6" logs and more branches than I ever want to see again. This is messy stuff - everything is sticky. My plan is to split and stack the logs and rent a chipper for the branches. Is there any merit to making kindling from the branches?

Dead white pipe branches make great kindling but as you noted the trade off is sap.

I had a guy friend tell me the pitch plugged up his chipper and he had to remove the blades and clean them. He has a commercial chipper and does tree work.
The only white pines we have dealt with here are the ones that snap off and land on our "logging" roads. They get cabled and shoved out of the way. Never processed white pine.

I use pine branches all the time. Truly a PITA to cut but makes great kindling when dry.

Pine makes great kindling if not sappy, I love my fatwood......

I like it for kindling. Wear gloves.

Thanks for the tips. I will use as much of the pine as possible. The gloves are a really good tip.

Attachments

• pine hand.jpg
    pine hand.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
I cut all the branches off and stack them in a brush pile. After the pile sits for 6-9 months it's perfect kindling.

I burn some white pine from dropped branches ... it's worth my time for use as kindling or the shoulder season.

Status
Not open for further replies.