White pine seasoning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oilstinks

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2008
western NC
I have been raised that pine=creasote. How long do you guys season pine and the such. Just cut two big white pines for a friend and he wanted the wood removed. Got at least a cord and a half Ill guess. Would you season split or not split?

Season split. Debarking some or all will help as well.

A year should do you.

If you want to be sure, split it smaller than you normally would. Also, I have found that a 10-12 inch log LENGTH seasons much faster than a 16-18 inch log.

My experience has been at least a year.
We have mostly white pine and oak species here (some maple in the lowlands) and they both need as much drying time and effort as possible for maximum heat/clean burn.

I burn pine - jack, white and red - almost exclusively in my gasification boiler. Always dried. Pine tends to burn a little hotter due to the sap/resin in the wood. So a little more air control might be necessary. Also, give some extra attention to the chimney just to make sure you're not getting creosote. You shouldn't if the stack temp stays up and you get a pretty complete burn in the stove. Don't have "cool" fires and watch the low burns especially.

Status
Not open for further replies.