White Pine?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My first year heating with an old Lopi insert. Burning mostly pine (White, Scotch, Jack, Pitch, Austrian, Red), some Maple and Oak

Seasoned is the key, it burns nice and hot and fast.

Good luck.

awfireman said:
Does any body here burn seasoned white pine?

Hey neighbor! As you know people can't give that stuff away around here.. Always someone on craigslist trying to unload it lol.. It works ok mixed in if seasoned and is good for fire starting.. Whereabouts in Plymouth are you located?

Ray

I wouldn't pay for it, since the difference between it and hardwood around here is negligible. I have quite a few white pine here on the property, and when one hits the ground, it gets c/s/s just like all other wood. Seasoned, it burns nicely.
Have some mixed in that will get burned when I get to it.

Hi Ray,

I am in Cedarville right on Little Sandy Pond.

I have a boat load of white pine and have really never burned any but was considering it.. Mostly Black Cherry, White, Red Oak and bit of Silver Maple.

awfireman said:
Hi Ray,

I have a boat load of white pine and have really never burned any but was considering it.. Mostly Black Cherry, White, Red Oak and bit of Silver Maple.

Hello AW,
My opinion is to mix it in and/or use it as a firestarter but I wouldn't burn a load of just pine because it does burn hot and fast and could lead to overfiring your stove.. Those other woods you mention are great for burning as are most wood types are as long as they are dry.. If you check the btu charts you'll find white pine has low btu value compared to hardwood.. We have lots of white pine here too but also lots of oak, maple and other hardwoods.. I am burning black cherry and maple right now as it is mild out and I just want to keep the stove warm.. Cherry smells real nice when burning and maple isn't too bad either.. Oak smells a bit but has good coaling qualities and burns long and hot.. Here is a link to a btu chart: http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm ... We should hook sometime if you're interested and have a few beers.. I can show off my wood shelter if you'd like to see it too..

Ray

Adios Pantalones said:
I burn it. Load the stove- give it a stern glance and it will ignite. Shut it down in stages a little earlier than you might hardwood. I burn full loads of it when I'm home.

LOL you'd burn dog poop if you could get away with it! Yup just give the pine a stern look and it will spontaneously combust lmao..

Ray

Adios Pantalones said:
I burn it. Load the stove- give it a stern glance and it will ignite. Shut it down in stages a little earlier than you might hardwood. I burn full loads of it when I'm home.

I'll burn it but if you are used to hardwood it will fool ya. Look in the stove see a big pile of coals, thinking I can wait awhile to fill it as house is warm. Go back in 30 minutes or an hour and the stove is cold. :lol:

White pine was some of the best, cleanest burning fuel I had last year. Burned over a cord and loved every stick of it.

Thanks for the advice. I will probably mix the wp in during start up,etc.

Ray...we definetly should meet up for a beer....I go to Cornerstones a few times a month. Is that your wood shed in your profile picture? Interested in building one myself (Im a tarp guy and getting sick of the wind,snow,etc) and looking to build something similair this spring. Looks nice.

I cut a pine down in backyard just before snow fell. Got a nice pile of rounds that I will have split up soon. The wood in back was split in August and is all red, white oak and hickory about 3 cords. Its nice to have a cord of softwood every year. This year I am burning poplar. I just wouldn`t go through allot of pain to get it. I burn about 4 to 5 cords a year so the pine will finish filling woodshed in spring. Right after I took picture the snow came so ill finish bucking tree in March when i`m on vacation.

Attachments

• DSCF3903.jpg
    DSCF3903.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 492
  • DSCF3899.jpg
    DSCF3899.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 477
Here's a comment regarding free standing pine, made by an advertiser on craigslist....

“Would be good for outdoor wood furnace, just not good for my fireplaces or wood stoves”

AND, here's a response that was given by a hearth.com member regarding the advertiser's quote above....

"Words of wisdom; let’s keep it safe out there."

SOOOOOOOO, what REALLY is the deal here? ;-P

For this old boy, if it's seasoned and dry it goes in the stove....the old adage that pine causes chimney fires just does not hold weight with my Jotul, my stove burns clean no matter what the wood, as long as it's seasoned :)

Would I pay for pine??? NOPE

Would I pay for boxelder, sycamore, or willow? NOPE

Have I burned each of the above??? YEP!

awfireman said:
Thanks for the advice. I will probably mix the wp in during start up,etc.

Ray...we definetly should meet up for a beer....I go to Cornerstones a few times a month. Is that your wood shed in your profile picture? Interested in building one myself (Im a tarp guy and getting sick of the wind,snow,etc) and looking to build something similair this spring. Looks nice.

Thanx yes that's my wood shelter, it has its flaws but beats tarping any day..I built the shelter while the platform was filled with wood that made it much harder to do and made me build it differently.. If it was empty it would have been easier and would have built better but so far it has held up.. I am wide open where the shelter is located and that wind can really whip in from the bogs.. Cornerstones sounds good we have been there many times, good food and reasonable prices, a local favorite..

Ray

ansehnlich1 said:
Here's a comment regarding free standing pine, made by an advertiser on craigslist....

“Would be good for outdoor wood furnace, just not good for my fireplaces or wood stoves”

AND, here's a response that was given by a hearth.com member regarding the advertiser's quote above....

"Words of wisdom; let’s keep it safe out there."

SOOOOOOOO, what REALLY is the deal here? ;-P

For this old boy, if it's seasoned and dry it goes in the stove....the old adage that pine causes chimney fires just does not hold weight with my Jotul, my stove burns clean no matter what the wood, as long as it's seasoned :)

Would I pay for pine??? NOPE

Would I pay for boxelder, sycamore, or willow? NOPE

Have I burned each of the above??? YEP!

What is the deal here? Sounds like hearth.com member trying to get a good deal on some 'useless' pine.

I have.
It's been all I had. And I burned just well seasoned pine one year because it was free.
IT can be a PITA to split, especially if the pines grew out in the open and retained thier bottom branches for years. Full of branch knots.
You gotta enjoy loading the stove.

I hate to throw it away, but I do.
Smaller branches make good fire starting kindling, too.

I've burned every type of pine I could find. But then again I'm a scrounger and beggers can't be choosers. I also burn every type of hardwood I can find.

Matt

Adios Pantalones said:
Load the stove- give it a stern glance and it will ignite.

I generally use a wooden match, but I usually don't need kindling for 3-4" splits.

Shut it down in stages a little earlier than you might hardwood.

That's the greatest thing of burning pine. If I load it up with crotch wood I get the stove from 65 degrees to 650 degrees in 20 minutes without any kindling or fussing. Lock the door at about 5 minutes. Shut the damper most of the way at about 15 minutes. Done.

I burn white pine . . . mostly large branches that have come down during the winter . . . working with pine can be messy from the pitch and as mentioned the wood burns up quick and hot. I've never loaded the stove to the gills with just pine, but I have used all-pine for partial loads . . . mostly in the Spring and Fall when I want to take the chill out of the air with a quick, fast fire. I cerrtainly wouldn't pay for pine, but if it's free and seasoned it can be burned without worry.

Backpack09 said:
raybonz said:
Cornerstones sounds good

Count me in for a beer too.

Dan you're not too far away you're welcome to join in if you're interested.. Lots of Mass people in this forum.. We should have a cookout sometime in the good weather and trade war stories...

Ray

Looks like I will be burning some pine next year. Have about 1 cord of wp and just scored about 2 cords of red oak that is dead standing 2 years...need to cut,buck and split but its free and 10 minutes from the house.

Ray: Might be at Cornerstones saturday afternoon. I will keep you posted.

- Aaron

I wish I had acsess to somthing other than pine, everybody back east talks about hard woods here in Utah we have pine,pine and more pine. Just kiding there is cottonwood, Quaken Aspen, Juniper, and about four species of PINE. So the best we can do is Pine. Feel lucky if you can get some hard woods. If you grew up using pine than it is just the right thing to do burn more of it. I have used the other wood here but pine is probably the best in my eyes.

raybonz said:
awfireman said:
Hi Ray,

Hello AW,
My opinion is to mix it in and/or use it as a firestarter but I wouldn't burn a load of just pine because it does burn hot and fast and could lead to overfiring your stove.. Those other woods you mention are great for burning as are most wood types are as long as they are dry.. If you check the btu charts you'll find white pine has low btu value compared to hardwood.. We have lots of white pine here too but also lots of oak, maple and other hardwoods.. I am burning black cherry and maple right now as it is mild out and I just want to keep the stove warm.. Cherry smells real nice when burning and maple isn't too bad either.. Oak smells a bit but has good coaling qualities and burns long and hot.. Here is a link to a btu chart: http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm ... We should hook sometime if you're interested and have a few beers.. I can show off my wood shelter if you'd like to see it too..

Ray

I don't get this, I read it all the time in here and just don't understand how you can smell it if it's in an airtight stove? Lack of draft when opened? Face stuck into the flue?

Can someone enlighten me?

Status
Not open for further replies.