White Pine?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Outdoor fire pit ?

Some of us have had open/screened fireplaces ?

Werm said:
raybonz said:
awfireman said:
Hi Ray,

I am in Cedarville right on Little Sandy Pond.

I have a boat load of white pine and have really never burned any but was considering it.. Mostly Black Cherry, White, Red Oak and bit of Silver Maple.

Hello AW,
My opinion is to mix it in and/or use it as a firestarter but I wouldn't burn a load of just pine because it does burn hot and fast and could lead to overfiring your stove.. Those other woods you mention are great for burning as are most wood types are as long as they are dry.. If you check the btu charts you'll find white pine has low btu value compared to hardwood.. We have lots of white pine here too but also lots of oak, maple and other hardwoods.. I am burning black cherry and maple right now as it is mild out and I just want to keep the stove warm.. Cherry smells real nice when burning and maple isn't too bad either.. Oak smells a bit but has good coaling qualities and burns long and hot.. Here is a link to a btu chart: http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm ... We should hook sometime if you're interested and have a few beers.. I can show off my wood shelter if you'd like to see it too..

Ray

I don't get this, I read it all the time in here and just don't understand how you can smell it if it's in an airtight stove? Lack of draft when opened? Face stuck into the flue?

Can someone enlighten me?

Referring to the smell outdoors not indoors... If you smell it indoors u have a problem lol..

Ray

For such a fine smelling wood when being split, pine sure does stink when burned. Or it does to me, at least. :sick:

raybonz said:
Werm said:
raybonz said:
awfireman said:
Hi Ray,

I am in Cedarville right on Little Sandy Pond.

I have a boat load of white pine and have really never burned any but was considering it.. Mostly Black Cherry, White, Red Oak and bit of Silver Maple.

Hello AW,
My opinion is to mix it in and/or use it as a firestarter but I wouldn't burn a load of just pine because it does burn hot and fast and could lead to overfiring your stove.. Those other woods you mention are great for burning as are most wood types are as long as they are dry.. If you check the btu charts you'll find white pine has low btu value compared to hardwood.. We have lots of white pine here too but also lots of oak, maple and other hardwoods.. I am burning black cherry and maple right now as it is mild out and I just want to keep the stove warm.. Cherry smells real nice when burning and maple isn't too bad either.. Oak smells a bit but has good coaling qualities and burns long and hot.. Here is a link to a btu chart: http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm ... We should hook sometime if you're interested and have a few beers.. I can show off my wood shelter if you'd like to see it too..

Ray

I don't get this, I read it all the time in here and just don't understand how you can smell it if it's in an airtight stove? Lack of draft when opened? Face stuck into the flue?

Can someone enlighten me?

Referring to the smell outdoors not indoors... If you smell it indoors u have a problem lol..

Ray

Thank you kindly

awfireman said:
Looks like I will be burning some pine next year. Have about 1 cord of wp and just scored about 2 cords of red oak that is dead standing 2 years...need to cut,buck and split but its free and 10 minutes from the house.

Ray: Might be at Cornerstones saturday afternoon. I will keep you posted.

- Aaron

Aaron I work 12 hr. days thursday,friday and saturday and at the moment every other sunday.. It would be best for me on mon. thru weds. unless you catch an off sunday.. The days I work I have very little free time as I work in S. Boston..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.