White Pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
After I get another 10 f/c stacked I would like to buck and split some white pine, I have some good size trees down is it worth the time?

zap

How about turning the white pine into a woodlot woodshed? Alaskan Mill or Mini Mill to make the posts and beams. Slabs for the "siding." Keep firewood in the shed to age before moving it up to the house so it can lose some weight first. Just a thought.

Are they blow down or is there some rot in them? Those big straight ones in the woods aren't too bad to process and the worst that happens is you have some more camp fire wood.

wolfram said:
How about turning the white pine into a woodlot woodshed? Alaskan Mill or Mini Mill to make the posts and beams. Slabs for the "siding." Keep firewood in the shed to age before moving it up to the house so it can lose some weight first. Just a thought.
nice idea

SolarAndWood said:
Are they blow down or is there some rot in them? Those big straight ones in the woods aren't too bad to process and the worst that happens is you have some more camp fire wood.

The pines are blow down, I'll have to check this weekend for any rot.

zap

I would cut and process the pine. it burns nicely after it seasons.

If they're down you might as well take them . . . good for kindling, shoulder season fires or those fires when you're home and don't mind stoking the fire more often. On the plus size they tend to give a nice lightshow with popping and snapping . . . of course you can also use this wood for any campfires around the ol' homestead. That said, if there is enough of it and it's in a good enough shape . . . might be worth it to have it milled into some boards . . . and of course keep the slabs for kindling.

It's a good firewood if you're trying to impress someone with how much laborious work feeding a woodstove is.
:)

It's better than balsa wood and flash paper.

biily3 ....I agree with Duck and Jake.
Zap...this kinda goes along with the poplar topic, is pine ash or oak, no, but if its easy to get to and get out with not much struggle, cut it up, keep the splits large, and it'll hold a good fire, its a same for any tree that size to have it go to waste.

Drifthopper said:
Zap...this kinda goes along with the poplar topic, is pine ash or oak, no, but if its easy to get to and get out with not much struggle, cut it up, keep the splits large, and it'll hold a good fire, its a same for any tree that size to have it go to waste.

It's real easy to get there so finding time is next, beech,hard maple, cherry then the pine & popple for the 2011-2012 heating season.

Zap

zapny said:
Drifthopper said:

It's real easy to get there so finding time is next, beech,hard maple, cherry then the pine & popple for the 2011-2012 heating season.

Zap

that's about the same priority of time to spend on what that I employ
oak, beech, cherry maple, then if I still have time - pine
I certainly wouldn't process pine and leave the oak and cherry to rot. :)

If I had more time I'd cut it all, sell the hard wood and burn whatever was left.
I don't.

I wish I had time to cut some wood for lumber, too.
Soon as I win the lottery ...

Don't forget the gloves! All I did was move some white pine from A to B yesterday and still managed to get sap above my ear lol

hareball said:
Don't forget the gloves! All I did was move some white pine from A to B yesterday and still managed to get sap above my ear lol

Must have some "hare" growing on those knuckles today.

zap

zapny said:
hareball said:

Must have some "hare" growing on those knuckles today.

zap

My buddy was supposed to stop by the night before to cut me a mohawk but was unable to make it!

I'd be burning it. If you already have the mill it's one thing. If you don't than I wouldn't bother milling it.

Matt

Not bad to process, if you don't mind the sap. I have one to do in the power line on my property. I started on it last fall, then went to the oak, and haven't made it back yet. Gotta' do it before it goes punky.

PapaDave said:
Not bad to process, if you don't mind the sap. I have one to do in the power line on my property. I started on it last fall, then went to the oak, and haven't made it back yet. Gotta' do it before it goes punky.

I hope to have it done by this fall, it's in a area that needs to be cleaned up.

zap

billb3 said:
It's a good firewood if you're trying to impress someone with how much laborious work feeding a woodstove is.
:)

It's better than balsa wood and flash paper.

Yep, ya cant heat with pine. Unless ya got a stove that can control it. %-P

Status
Not open for further replies.