White Poplar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StihlKicking

Feeling the Heat
Jan 12, 2016
Hatchie Bottom, MS
My dad has asked me to take down a large white poplar for him this summer. They are not native here and I have never burned any. My question is, is it worth handling for firewood in an OWB. It is extremely big for a white poplar I would estimate it will stack 2+ cords. I will have heavy equipment at my disposal, so if it isn't worth burning I can pretty much get rid of it without the extra effort of processing it down to firewood. Thoughts? Thanks

It will burn but it will be "quick hot and quick out" so bear that in mind. Mix it in with longer burning woods and it will work and the price is right FREE!

Reactions: Fred Wright
It will burn but it will be "quick hot and quick out" so bear that in mind. Mix it in with longer burning woods and it will work and the price is right FREE!

That was my thoughts. Free is always good. I have burned lots of yellow poplar in the past and it was fair at best. Cottonwood is pretty terrible but I will still burn it in an OWB. If white poplar is any worse than cottonwood I'm not sure that I want to fool with it.

It will burn up faster than most wood species but it does burn hot. Free is always good; I'd take it. :)

X2........cant beat the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.