White Spots on Inside of Cast Iron?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vanhoesenj

Oct 18, 2006
Hi all -

Bitter cold here, burning the Vigilant at about the same temp as normal (~600-650), I did hit 700 but just damped it down a little. The last two nights I've noticed white "spots" on the inside of the griddle when I fill from the top. The pic sort of shows it, didn't want to get too close with the digital camera. :)

Any thoughts? Overfiring? Thanks for any ideas!

cheers
John

Attachments

• DSCN9232_s.jpg
    DSCN9232_s.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 386
not to sweat it. At one point you were burning hot and burned off the black soot. We all do this from time to time

Sweet, thanks Elk... I was hoping it wasn't something tragic, just hadn't seen it before. Now I can sleep tonight... ha! I mean, until 4am when I put another load on the fire. :)

cheers
J~

Wait a second john My Encore lets me sleep 8+ hours I no longer need to get up and feed it like the Resolute Acclaim early AM
Yours should do close to the same unless it needs some rebuilding is yours the first model run without thermatically controlled secondary air?

Out of habit I woke up at night, because I knew it was real cold ,,to feed the stove looked at the griddle top thermo,, 600 degrees and went back to bed

Elk -

Not sure if it's the first model, but it's def one of the older ones... it will run through the night no problem and have plenty of coals in the morning. It NEVER runs above 450 degrees though with the damper closed... so I open the damper, let it run for hotter for half an hour and then go back to bed... Any suggestions to get that overnight burn hotter? Thanks!

cheers
J~

Status
Not open for further replies.