Whitfeild strat up then goes out after 30 minutes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ss14468

Nov 10, 2010
wny
Hello I have a P-30 Whitfield. My problem is that the stove goes out after 30 minutes or I should say the pellet stop coming down. Then the stove goes into a fault. I have already replaced the photo eye and did the relocation as well. I have replace the limit disc. When I had the stove outside running to see if the problem went away at that time it did. Then I brought the stove back in side and hooked it up.Same problem. There is only two more part I can replace control board and the back flow switch. Thank you for your time

I suggest the high temp snap switch is the culprit, jump that sucker out and see if it continues. I initially thought photoeye as well, but the photoeye problems usually show up in the first 10-15 minutes, i stress usually.

first, check the photo eye. There are two yellow wires that run from the photo eye to the control board. First tap into the yellow leads of the photo eye using alligator clips. Set your multi meter to DC volts in the 20 volt range. With the stove turned on, but no fire in the grate, you should measure about 6 volts dc.

Next take a flashlight and shine the light up the feed tube. The voltage on the circuit should drop below 2.5VDC. If the voltage does not drop, check the protective lense below the photoeye for soot and dirt. Clean it or replace it as necessary. If light is passing through the lense but the voltage is not dropping than the photoeye head may need replacement.

If the voltage is dropping to 2.5 volts DC and lower, then the problem is likely the control board.

Whenever the voltage on the photoeye circuit goes above 2.5VDC it initiates a five minute timer. If the voltage does not drop below 2.5VDC during that five minute period, the stove will initiate the shut down cycle. When everything is working properly and the photoeye lens is clean and the photoeye is free of dust the voltage will likely stay around 1.5VDC with fire in the stove.

Soot can build up on the photoeye lens if: the damper is closed too much, if the stove is leaking excess air due to a worn door gasket or excessive air through the air wash, It may be necessary to open the damper, and also increase the combustion blower trim.

Status
Not open for further replies.