Whitfield Advantage 2 electrical problems??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

terry15381

Dec 25, 2008
Northern California
Had a strange thing happen today. We were in the other room and smelled hot electrical smell. Went in the room where our stove is and the area around it was very smoky, smelling like hot electrical wires burning? Unplugged stove and opened up side panels to investigate. Nothing appeared to have been hot or burnt. Plugged back in and ran the blowers while continuing to troubleshoot. Noticed the pellet burning tray was empty, and thought that maybe the auger motor had fried? Re-started stove and it has been running fine. The hot electrical smell is the thing I am baffled by. Any guesses to this?? I am thinking that the auger motor may be DC and it hung up causing some arcing at the brushes and com?? Maybe a small electrical componet on the main borad fried, but hasn't effected performance?? Just looking for some thoughts on this one. Thanks for any feed back. Terry

Could it be part of a plastic bag that was in the hopper and burned in the firepot.

The auger motor is so tiny (bathroom fan) I have had mine locked when the auger became jamming and that did not burn out the motor.
It would have to be the exhaust or circulation fans... but they have thermal switches on them.
Sure it was the stove ?? ?

Most auger motor are thermal protected, if they over heat they will shut down, when the motor cools it will work again.

If it was me, I'd be VERY, VERY AFRAID! Electrical fires are not nice. BUT, that's just my opinion

Chances are that if it was the stove, the problem will re-surface or a component will fail at some point. Not much one can do , especially if you've done a thorough visual inspection and all seems well.

Status
Not open for further replies.